DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    I've looked at the extension more than once, but never loaded it up. I guess that it was never too clear to me about how it interacted with a map / story entry.

All the DOE-records act just like story entries (or any other FG-record, for that matter) - they can be linked to Story or Notes, pined to Maps, minimized to the Desktop - whatever.

So in this case the DOE:Location-records *are* the "stories entries with a consistent layout" that LordE is talking about - and they can be pinned to a map (or have a Map assigned to the record) and because there is an in-built hierarchy the idea of having a pin for a district and then sub-maps and sub-entries, etc, is a snap to build.

This is exactly the situation the DOE:Location was designed and built for - and I'm quite frankly amazed someone else hasn't bought it up and suggested the Extension to the OP before this - after all, I know for a fact that some of the previous posters use the Extension
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    What I think the OP is looking for is a way to "find" the "Brazen Strumpet Inn" on the map easily.
    As LordEntrails mentions the pins dont really help with this - regardless of whether its a story or location at the other end of the pin.

Yeah, and the problem that I keep running into with big cities is that someone will be at some random shop, finish their business, and then ask the shop keeper where the nearest pub is.... 6 minutes later and I finally find one - but by then, it is I that need a drink.

This is why I recommended pre-created topical maps.

All that said, I am still happy to have learned about the Location extension.

EDIT: Oh, finding a given shop on a map. To do that without an integrated map filter, you would need to grid the town and then annotate each shop with the grid coordinates. Being very coarse - say a 10 x 10 grid - is usually good enough as you just want to get close enough to limit the search.

Last edited by Topdecker; November 4th, 2018 at 06:11.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    EDIT: Oh, finding a given shop on a map. To do that without an integrated map filter, you would need to grid the town and then annotate each shop with the grid coordinates. Being very coarse - say a 10 x 10 grid - is usually good enough as you just want to get close enough to limit the search.
    Yep, this is exactly what I do, it's the last entry (Coordinates) that I have on my story entry. That way, I only have a dozen or so pins I have to look at to find the place on the map.

All that said, pin color and shapes are something I'm looking VERY forward to, if/when it comes to be

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

So there is actually a way to get TWO coloured pins. If you make a map and don't share it - you can use Green and Red pins as the players cannot see a map you haven't shared. This is useful up to the point of your imagination. I use red for templates and green for tables.

Green pin ?

Quote Originally Posted by SirGraystone View Post
    You can have a green pin if you share it with the players, maybe not be helpful in most case but it's there.
    How do you get a "green pin"? All I can get are red pins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhchng View Post
    How do you get a "green pin"? All I can get are red pins.
    Green pins are those that have been shared with player(s).

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to see a location pin on a map (kind of filter in the pins).

I can search in the World Builder for a location and find it quickly but now I'm looking for a way to show this pin on the map.
    I created hundreds of pins on a map of Waterdeep and it is hard to locate it manually.
    Thanks
    Regards
    Last edited by Engelmann; October 19th, 2021 at 09:40.

No, you can't filter pins. And you can't relate a story entry to a pin either. Pins are one way in that you can only access them from the map. Generally this isn't an issue since the party will be at x location and you click the pin to open the details on that location. But I can see where you might have an issue with a non combat map with a lot of pins. Maybe break down the map into districts or areas so you have less pins to worry about on each map?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Engelmann View Post
    Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to see a location pin on a map (kind of filter in the pins).

I can search in the World Builder for a location and find it quickly but now I'm looking for a way to show this pin on the map.
    I created hundreds of pins on a map of Waterdeep and it is hard to locate it manually.
    Thanks
    Regards
    What I did in my Undermountain map is to use a coordinate system on the DM map, and then each story title I add the coordinates. That way when the party teleports to a strange location, it is easier for me to find where on the map that is. i.e. a story entry might be titled something like "White Throne (C7)"

Thread Information