Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Marking hundreds of locations on a map..

Hello,

So I'm trying to do something that's probably out of scope but I'll ask anyways since it's a need I have.. :P

When you have a large city like greyhawk and you have pins for atlesat 40-50 locations on the map.
    It becomes hard to find what's in a given street since all the pins have the same color and there's many of them.

How do people make usefull maps for these things in FG?
    When runing RL games I use a custom google maps and I could use that while using FG of course, but then I won't have hyper links and all that neatness all in one place.

I haven't found any extensions which enables you to use different pin colors or symbols, or anything of the sort.
    Currently my plan is to make tokens with symbols for the common types of buildings and the image label extension to label the most significant ones.
    Alternativly to draw such symbols on the map in gimp and then import it, and add pins to it (this probably could work, but then again I'd have to repin everything if I update/change the map image so there goes alot of work when new stuff is added).

Any thoughts?
    Suggestions?

Feel free to laugh and point out any and all easier/better ways of handling this

Break cities down into districts, or have story entries for each district.

Blog Entries
    You can't change or control pin color or shapes. But their are two items on the wishlist you might wish to vote for;
    - https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=95803
    - https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=81597

I guess what I might consider in your case (of a city and marking types of buildings) is I would use a color key to indicate building types. So basically have your player map that doesn't have any special keys, and then have your GM map that has your colors.

As for 40-50 pins, that's nothing *G*
    Screen Shot 11-02-18 at 10.59 AM.PNG

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

There isn't a great deal you can do about the pins and their colour. There is only one type and you get red.

I suppose it comes down to whether you need all of the pins. Is something happening at all of the locations (encounters etc) or are you just pinning things so that you know where the building is and attach that to a brief description of the place etc. As Nylanfs says breaking the map down might help here. Less pins in each location and if you blow each area up a bit more space between the pins.

Also if you do edit the image as long as you don't change it's name or dimensions it will not need to be repinned.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    You can have a green pin if you share it with the players, maybe not be helpful in most case but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You can't change or control pin color or shapes. But their are two items on the wishlist you might wish to vote for;
    - https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=95803
    - https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=81597

I guess what I might consider in your case (of a city and marking types of buildings) is I would use a color key to indicate building types. So basically have your player map that doesn't have any special keys, and then have your GM map that has your colors.
    Don't forget:

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=121742

(add text header to pin with name!)
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    To add, if you do two maps, a player one and a GM one and make them both the same resolution, you can go into the xml and duplicate all the pin placements. Just make sure you make a backup before you start manually editing the xml files.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As I did with Pathfinder Magnimar, I favour the approach to pin a enlarged picture of a district, to reduce the amount of pins on the overview map. Within the district, I then A) put pins for all relevant locations, and B) a pin to the overview map, to ‚zoom back‘. Of course all on the GM map. I never do pins on player maps.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    As for 40-50 pins, that's nothing *G*
    Screen Shot 11-02-18 at 10.59 AM.PNG
    Okay, now that looks like the direction I'm heading :O
    How on earth do you find what you are looking for on that map?
    Hover over all the pins in the relevant area til you find the correct one?

How's performance impacted for this? Not as much since it's DM only, or?

This thread has given me a lot of useful information, thanks a lot everyone

Thread Information