5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

How many extensions and modules would be "too many"?

1. How many extensions and modules do YOU play with?
    2. What modules can we turn off and what is the effect?
    3. To what degree do extensions and modules affect player experience (i.e. lag)?

My setup:
    Win 10 64bit
    16gb ram
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8-core
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 27070

I'm currently running with:
    Extensions: 72 (although a number of these are turned off, such as themes). It's about 41mb of data.
    Modules: 136. 1.17 gb of data.

For modules, I've turned off the duplicates, such as SRD and basic rules. I understand I can turn off a lot of stuff that's only used for character creation.

My big worry is always "what if I need that?"

What modules do you turn off and what effect does it have, if any?

Mostly, my experience with FGU, even with tons of stuff turned on, has been excellent, but a couple of times, I've had some weird effects that MIGHT be lag, might be internet inconsistencies, etc.

I really depends. I currently have about 60 that I have activated for my campaigns. I know DMs who have more and some who have fewer. Most extensions have not had any noticeable impact on performance for me. The number of modules, images, and tokens seem to be a much bigger resource hog.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Blog Entries
    Extensions mostly should not have a big hit on performance. But extensions all change something. The more changes the more likely you are to have something go wrong. I use 1-5 extensions in most games.

Its important to remember that when using extensions, it is entirely up to the DM to double check that things work as you expect. I always recommend only adding them one at a time and getting to know how they are expected to behave. Each one you add has the potential to affect how FG behaves and performs, and sometimes they can interact in unexpected ways. Unless you are really sure of them, its better to use fewer until you are sure that they work well together.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    1. How many extensions and modules do YOU play with?
    2. What modules can we turn off and what is the effect?
    3. To what degree do extensions and modules affect player experience (i.e. lag)?

My setup:
    Win 10 64bit
    16gb ram
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8-core
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 27070

I'm currently running with:
    Extensions: 72 (although a number of these are turned off, such as themes). It's about 41mb of data.
    Modules: 136. 1.17 gb of data.

For modules, I've turned off the duplicates, such as SRD and basic rules. I understand I can turn off a lot of stuff that's only used for character creation.

My big worry is always "what if I need that?"

What modules do you turn off and what effect does it have, if any?

Mostly, my experience with FGU, even with tons of stuff turned on, has been excellent, but a couple of times, I've had some weird effects that MIGHT be lag, might be internet inconsistencies, etc.
    1) 7 - more than that seems crazy. I tend to add new things I think of into extensions I already have out there unless radically different. The fewer the better.
    2) I only turn on modules I'm actively using in a campaign. Only effect is time to load them I think.
    3) EXTENSIONS = RISK. This is because FGU can change the underlying code and break them. Other extensions can change the same parts as another extension and break them (or break certain parts you may not immediately notice). Not sure there is lag - but there is TONS of risk. Even if you don't notice it - its there.

Just my opinion.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I use one theme and two extensions (and one of those will be incorporated into the ruleset soon so I'll then be down to 1) and only have the adventure module that I am currently running open as well as the Core Rulebook (playing a FPRPG2 campaign at the moment). In a 5e game I'd be using the same two extensions and one theme.

Any more than a handful of extensions and you are asking for trouble,
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I use one theme and two extensions (and one of those will be incorporated into the ruleset soon so I'll then be down to 1) and only have the adventure module that I am currently running open as well as the Core Rulebook (playing a FPRPG2 campaign at the moment). In a 5e game I'd be using the same two extensions and one theme.

Any more than a handful of extensions and you are asking for trouble,
    Which one will be incorporated? ��

Likely the Message of the Day extension which was included in the current dev channel release for testing

Never heard about it...how does it works?

MOTD extension is super simple. You have a story entry titles MOTD and when a player logs onto the table it immediately pops up for them. I use it all the time to make sure my players have access to any important info

Thread Information