DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Sneak Attack

Sneak Attack

We have a rogue character and there is no easy way to confirm how to create sneak attack for a rogue (unchained). I am surprised this seems so difficult. Any advice would be well received.

Just create an effect. First create a spell class that is titled Abilities or something similar. Use a level 0 slot on either a prepared or spontaneous caster. Create a spell and call it sneak attack. The create a spell action and click effect. In the line for the effect use this: Sneak Attack; DMG: XdY precision. Replace X with the number of dice and Y with the size of the die. The player can then put the effect on and off as needed.

As the rogue levels and get more abilities tied to sneak attack, you can add more effects to the sneak attack "spell".

If you need any more help or specifics, let me know.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Thanks for this - I admit I am very surprised this is not a default setting for Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionavar View Post
    Thanks for this - I admit I am very surprised this is not a default setting for Rogues.
    It's not a default setting because there are a number of reasons:
    - Edge cases when a rogue may-or-may-not be able to apply their sneak attack damage.
    - FG uses a two action approach for attack then damage, to allow for double-checking any edge cases that can't be covered by the automation. The "stuff" that determines if a rogue can apply sneak attack damage is all in the attack (primarily if the opponent is flat-footed or flanked - but there can be other abilities/situations that could result in sneak damage being applied, and it's impossible to code for all of these), then if a hit occurs (and the GM confirms it - as many people don't rely on 100% automation) then the damage can be rolled - but flat-footed or flanked does not apply to the damage roll, it is only taken into account on the attack roll.

All of these situations/functionality are why sneak attack damage is setup as a manual "can I apply sneak attack damage?" option when the GM confirms a hit and that sneak attack damage applies. Hence why players will either apply an effect just before rolling damage, or having another weapon entry to cater for it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If anyone has an example character where this was done I would appreciate it. A screenshot would also do.

I would really appreciate this core function of rogue added to FG. I recognize there may be exceptions but I would still rather have the function as an option. Similarly, I didn't see flanking as a modifier. This would also be really valuable even if I manually selected it.

My 2cp.

Sneak Attack.PNG

See the attached image for unchained rogue examples. This is what my unchained rogue does for my Monday night games. For the damage portion, she just clicks the proper damage effect, and then rolls her damage. For the other abilities granted by her sneak attack, she adds the custom effect "Rogue" to herself before adding the injury effects to the creature. Due to the custom IFT effect, both will not trigger unless the Rogue tag is in place. The effects can be changed to whatever custom trigger tag you want (in the case of multiple rogues), but that should work for you.

If you are playing a chained rogue (and personally, why would you), ignore the Debilitating Injury section and focus on the Sneak Attack/Flanking Section.

As far as flanking goes, effects are one way of doing it or just manually adding the +2 to the modifier box. Perhaps you can poke Kelrugem to see if he can add a Flanking button to his Advanced 3.5/PF effects extension.
    Last edited by Blahness98; June 26th, 2019 at 14:22.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Quote Originally Posted by Blahness98 View Post
    Perhaps you can poke Kelrugem to see if he can add a Flanking button to his Advanced 3.5/PF effects extension.
    Noted Though one can already add custom buttons at the big modifier box in the upper right corner, so add a +2 modifier button there and name it "flanking" But adding some flanking button could give the opportunity to allow effects based on flanking (like for teamwork benefits), like one already can add effects which only are used when some attack is an opportunity attack So, I may add that at some point nevertheless. But not sure yet when I have time for my extensions again

It would be nice if "Flanked" was an automatic effect/condition based on the conditional trigger of your token actually being flanked, and applied "Advantage" to the flanking combatants, but as far as Sneak Attack goes, can't you just add a custom weapon with no attack, just damage? (I did)

Quote Originally Posted by blazingwebs View Post
    It would be nice if "Flanked" was an automatic effect/condition based on the conditional trigger of your token actually being flanked, and applied "Advantage" to the flanking combatants
    Or like the existing automation one has already for effects which are only triggered for AoOs? I didn't think anymore about adding the "flanking" modifier button because one can create one's own +2 buttons, but a designated "Flanking"-button could be used to code e.g. DMG effects which are only triggered when this button is pressed

Hm, I try to remember this again when I have time for a bit more coding again

Thread Information