Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11
    I wasn't asking or even suggesting that SmiteWorks should do it. It doesn't make sense for them to do it since it's too specific to each community. They make it easy to get at the data. Their work is done (though JSON export would be nice....)

    I can write a transformer in an afternoon, but I'm not a designer. It looks like there's already a pretty decent interactive PDF with formfield support: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6E...dGdmh3SzA/view

    If I get some time tomorrow I'll see what I can do.

  2. #12
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newcastle, UK (for a bit)
    Posts
    25,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
    I wasn't asking or even suggesting that SmiteWorks should do it.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your intention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
    If I get some time tomorrow I'll see what I can do.
    Great!
    FG Con 16 Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - Postponed New date To Be Confirmed.
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  3. #13

    Progress

    Mea culpa, an hour was a bit optimistic. Scaffolding out the app and getting the framework in place to do the transformation took most of the time; now it's just a question of filling in the rest of the fields.

    Here's a proof of concept; haven't got to the 'health and resolve' or 'armor class' stuff yet but I have everything written that I need to pull those fields. Just need to finish the legwork to transform them.

    The app runs on a (relatively) small java application server. I'd prefer not to host it myself. Anybody have a DigitalOcean or AWS instance they want to donate? I've packaged it as a docker image so all that's required is to press "go"!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #14
    Real life intervened between my job and a newborn, but this is actually not that far from being usable, at least for basic character sheets.

    It can be used locally but requires Docker; it's probably better suited to run on a public web site. If somebody has a VM somewhere with a couple gigs of RAM that's all that's needed.

    If nobody responds, I'll get around to it eventually (like once I have time to actually play Starfinder....maybe in a year or so) and will host it myself. But if there's interest in the form of donating a sliver of server space, I'll get it done sooner.

  5. #15

    Maybe a helping hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
    Real life intervened between my job and a newborn, but this is actually not that far from being usable, at least for basic character sheets.

    It can be used locally but requires Docker; it's probably better suited to run on a public web site. If somebody has a VM somewhere with a couple gigs of RAM that's all that's needed.

    If nobody responds, I'll get around to it eventually (like once I have time to actually play Starfinder....maybe in a year or so) and will host it myself. But if there's interest in the form of donating a sliver of server space, I'll get it done sooner.
    Would like to help somehow. I'm an inthusiastic for FG, a quick learner and a Starfinder lover.
    So if there is something I can help with, let me know.

    Another thing: it is applicable to other rulesets. And in case it is, how much work would we need to do to make it fullfunctional?

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrielLBR View Post
    Another thing: it is applicable to other rulesets. And in case it is, how much work would we need to do to make it fullfunctional?
    Yes, I think so. It's nothing terribly complicated. There are two pieces: part of the application populates PDFs that have form fields predefined. It just takes input values and plugs them into the PDF.

    The other part of the app reads the input from the FG XML and transforms it into those values that get fed into the PDF. In many cases, it's just finding the appropriate value, but in some cases, we have to do calculations that FG doesn't do (or rather, it does, but it doesn't save the calculated values in the XML). Max dexterity to AC and armor penalties, for instance. We also have to format description fields to fit on the PDF.

    tbh I set it aside between a baby and FG not looking like it was going to support Starfinder space combat for some time. I haven't checked in on that lately but I don't think I'd put more work into this until it does. But I'm happy to open up the code if somebody wants to take it over. It's written in Lucee, which is just a JVM scripting language and pretty easy to learn.

  7. #17
    damned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    20,400
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
    Yes, I think so. It's nothing terribly complicated. There are two pieces: part of the application populates PDFs that have form fields predefined. It just takes input values and plugs them into the PDF.

    The other part of the app reads the input from the FG XML and transforms it into those values that get fed into the PDF. In many cases, it's just finding the appropriate value, but in some cases, we have to do calculations that FG doesn't do (or rather, it does, but it doesn't save the calculated values in the XML). Max dexterity to AC and armor penalties, for instance. We also have to format description fields to fit on the PDF.

    tbh I set it aside between a baby and FG not looking like it was going to support Starfinder space combat for some time. I haven't checked in on that lately but I don't think I'd put more work into this until it does. But I'm happy to open up the code if somebody wants to take it over. It's written in Lucee, which is just a JVM scripting language and pretty easy to learn.
    new dev team member superteddy57 has released some Starship combat updates recently.

    MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

  8. #18
    Yes, it is currently available on the Test server and will soon be Live.

    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...g-to-main-code

  9. #19
    That's great! Sorry, I'm sure I could've figured that out from reading the forum, but I only checked this thread because I was subscribed to it.

    I'll see if I can get a couple hours to dust off my exporter and get it out the door. My original offer stands, too - if somebody wants to spring for a 4 GB VM somewhere like AWS Lightsail or DigitalOcean, I'll make it publicly available. It's possible to run it offline but it needs a bunch of Java plumbing to handle the XML transformation and PDF manipulation.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in