STAR TREK 2d20

Usage of Modifiers in CoC 7e ruleset

I am a bit confused how to use modifiers in the game (I understand the +1/2 bonus and penalty and HRD/EXT buttons). I am still learning the rules and don't know if there are such situations where the GM gives +/- something to a check, but as this is D100 system, adding +5 as modifier should increase the Target Number or the check, not add to the result of a roll.

For example if I have skill of 50% and I add modifier +5, the TN stays 50 while the roll result is incremented with 5. Am I using this wrong? I can always hack by using negative modifier, but this will incorrectly result in level of success or failure that is probably not right.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Modifiers (i.e ad-hoc modifier stack entries or campaign "modifier" entries) are primarily for modifying the dice rolls - pure and simple. Not all dice rolls in CoC will have a target number - damage, rolling on tables, etc.. It is much better to keep the modifier functionality the same throughout all rolls - keep it simple for everyone.

Now, to be specific for CoC 7e - there aren't numerical modifiers to skill/attack checks. "Modifiers", as the RPG system uses them, are: changing difficultly or adding/removing bonus/penalty dice - numerical modifiers, if they exist at all, are very rare.

So - based off the above - the modifiers as is work well in the CoC 7e ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I guess this is the default behavior that comes from CoreRPG, in other rulesets it behaves differently. You are right, in CoC there are seems to be no such result modification mechanics so far. I was thinking about spells, but still haven't reached this chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    I guess this is the default behavior that comes from CoreRPG, in other rulesets it behaves differently.
    The vast majority of rulesets adjust the dice roll total via modifiers. There may be the odd ruleset that does adjust a target number via the modifier box - the only one I can think of off the top of my head is specifically coded custom dice rolls in MoreCore. For example, 5e, Pathfinder and Savage Worlds don't modify the target number at all, modifiers change the roll total.

I'm curious... I'm sure there is the odd one, but which FG rulesets are you familiar with where the modifier box changes the target number for a roll?
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 26th, 2018 at 11:46.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

In 40k ruleset when you add modifier it changes the target number as per the mechanics of the D100 system. I think the WHFRPG 2 is also doing that.
    The Conan extension based on MoreCore that I am forking is adding extra dice to a roll when modifiers are used for skill checks and extra damage when used for damage dices.

Yeah, pretty much community based rulesets, no mainstream FG rulesets. No offence to Warhammer or Conan...

Haha, none taken.

Still, for me it is ruleset and the way modifiers are applied should be according to the basic mechanics of the system. Not whether they are commercial or community. In CoC case it is clear that there is no need to make such change, I am fine. Just wanted to be on the same page with all of you, because I don't rule out myself doing things incorrectly

Thread Information