FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to Sketch Map of a small village

Hello, I am new to GIMP and took one basic training class. I want to create a Sketch Map of a small village for my D&D game on Fantasy Grounds. But cannot seem to find artwork of medieval houses/buildings to from top down to populate the town. Also all other top down objects. I have Sketchy Cartographer brushes I downloaded and installed from Deviant Art website. But none of those are top down. Would these objects be brushes or stamps or something else? Premade house from rooftop. Any recommendations?

Also, I need to make hill sides and dirt streets and paths. Is there a set of textures I can find?

https://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex.htm

And also the other two collections on that website - CSUAC and Bogies mapping objects.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Awesome! Vintyri Cartographic Collection looks good. Thank you

Question: Do people load ALL their thousands of brushes at same time or do they only load the ones they need for each project? If so, how do you organize that. Because all I do is copy paste the .abr file into the GIMP brushes folder..

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes\Sketchy-Cartography-Brushes.abr

Blog Entries
    I set up brush "sets" and depending on what I am making I will switch to the set that I think will give me what I need. Granted, some brushes are in every set.

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

OK down loaded all those brushed and textures. It seems I will need farm fields. the kind I saw in CC3+. Not just textures but they are stamps. I tried unsuccessfully searching google and Deviant Art

Update on GIMP. This is the best advice anyone will ever here on here. Dont bother. It is a STEEP learning curve and I took Photoshop 4 in college in 1990. Ive been trying to build this outdoor village map for a week and its a nightmare. Just stick to one of the polished easier products. I am going to try them next.

Blog Entries
    If you can afford it, CC3+ w/ CD3 (and while your at it DD3) will get you going in 4-6 hours. Install, do the first turorial or two , then do you map. Easy peezy.

Then you can start looking for more symbols (what PSP calls brushes). There is a post on the PF forums with a link to installers for Vintyri, Bogie, and Dunjinni collections. That will get you tens of thousands of symbols. Then you can get the CC Annuals or Symbol Set add-ons. when you want more.

Then you can start making your own symbols in CC or in Gimp, etc.

EDIT: oh, and don't try to use CC like PSP or Gimp. It is a CAD program and behaves very differently. Hence do the tutorials!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLP38 View Post
    Update on GIMP. This is the best advice anyone will ever here on here. Dont bother. It is a STEEP learning curve and I took Photoshop 4 in college in 1990. Ive been trying to build this outdoor village map for a week and its a nightmare. Just stick to one of the polished easier products. I am going to try them next.
    How about we change that advice to:

GiMP is a very feature rich program with many, many options. You can make amazing artwork and incredible image manipulations once you learn how to use it.

I just watched this excellent Tuturial video and it helped a lot understand layers.

GIMP Basics 2018: Intro to Layers and Advanced Layers (GIMP 2.10.4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCyBF0NwIDU

Thread Information