DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Do this Mortar
    Dont do it by PM.
    Do it in the forums or at the least in Discord channels so that others can have access to and learn from the interaction.
    I have already forked his repo and I have been peeking around at the files. I know that the character sheet and the combat tracker are the recommended start points so that is my planned starting point.
    Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries
    Okay here is a question for damned, Celestian, and Trenloe if his forum travels bring him here.

Is it easier for me to create and maintain this ruleset long term by using the AD&DCore ruleset that Celestian has built ontop of/or modified from the 5e ruleset? The way I understand it, changes to the underlying CoreRPG would need to be "fixed" at each of those steps to work in the final project, and then in turn I work out to how implement into the ruleset I am working on.

Or is better for me to use CoreRPG as the base, then build the ruleset layered on that like most of the other ruelset?

I am aware that the second option may take me a lot longer, due to more work needing to be done by me, but it just seems in the long this will make updates easier to deal with.
    Ultimate License Holder

It would definitely be loads more work to make a entirely new ruleset layered on CoreRPG.

My plan was to use AD&D core and adjust for rules specific to S&W. Doing that with the CoreRPG ruleset would be much harder, same or moreso with the 5e ruleset as well.

If you use AD&D Core you'd just need to maintain updates like I do with the 5e ruleset and CoreRPG. When they add something in the 5e ruleset or fix bugs I do a diff on the new 5e ruleset and mine. There are certain areas where this is no longer needed (character sheets and various things) but in general it's not to difficult but can be time consuming. Since I update the differences for CoreRPG you'd not need to worry about it.

So, when I push out a AD&D Core update you'd want to just review what I've done using a diff tool and decide if you want those changes or not.

You could just make S&W a extension used with AD&D Core which might be less work in the long run tho has it own complexities.

You can also layer it on AD&D Core. While it's not an official ruleset for FG I do maintain it as best I can and if a time comes where I get hit by a bus you could just flatted your layer into the latest AD&D Core and you'd have your own moving forward (that's what I did with 5e ruleset when I first started).

You could also do what I did and get the 5e ruleset and start trimming off what doesn't fit S&W.

The method I would choose is make a new branch of AD&D Core and update yours as things are updated in AD&D Core. I think that is the simplest with the most freedom and ease IMO.

As I said tho, it's a not a simple task. Learning LUA and FG will take a while (and I am by no means an expert). You'll need to love doing it for free more than likely.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    mortar what celestian is saying is that he gives you permission to fork his code.
    eg his code is a ruleset layered on CoreRPG.
    You would be taking the celestian code as it is at todays point in time and then reworking it for S&W
    This will reduce your dev time by about... hmmm... 90% and your learn time by a good chunk too.

You will of course need to learn and understand what celestian has done and why etc

You will not need to keep track of celestians build going forward (although you might ) but you will have to adjust each time CoreRPG is updated.

damned, I thought he was encouraging mortar to build on top of his ruleset, not editing his ruleset (unless celestian got hit by a bus, in which case he would then merge into the current AD&D and not ride on top any more).

Blog Entries
    if he wants to do it as a commercial ruleset it cannot be layered on top of a non Smiteworks ruleset.
    celestian has most kindly given him permission to take a forked copy and run with it.

Well, I guess that makes sense. Don't know how it could work any other way. Just didn't want a soul brave enough to launch into ruleset development to start off confused (cuz I sure was).

Blog Entries
    I was totally confused....thus my post. I didn't grok that ADD Core is essentially a new ruleset already. damned sorted me out in his own way as usual

I have imported Celestian's excellent code base into a new repo, and am getting the basic info (readme, licenses, etc) sorted out.

This ought to be one helluva a learning experience.
    Ultimate License Holder

Any update on this?

Seems I have found myself getting more and more interested in OSR and especially the Swords and Wizardry system. I'd like to know as well if there is any progress on this for fantasy Grounds.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

Thread Information