DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Anyone running 13th Age?

Out of curiosity seeing the forum is not used that much, is anyone running a 13th Age campaign using the Fantasy Grounds 13th Age ruleset, or at least an adventure with it? I‘m going to start one myself soon, which I started as a chat/forum adventure. It turned out to be a huge success for the players and myself, so I‘m eager to see how it will work with FG later this month.

I usually run Pathfinder games and during summer vacation introduced 13th Age to see if there‘s interest for something new.
    At least for myself I can say, I like it now much more than Pathfinder...

I'm waiting for my first paycheque from my new job to buy it, and then shall be running a game

Just purchased the rulset and bestiary for it, will most likely be running the adventure included with the ruleset to get an idea of how the ruleset functions in Fantasy Grounds.
    Native Texan. Tabletop Gaming since 1977. Ultimate License holder. Life-long Trekkie. Traveller fanatic. Die-hard Savage. OSR enthusiast. 1930's Pulp aficionado.
    Currently Running:
    Cypher System: Shotguns, Sorcery & Shenanigans
    Currently Playing:
    Shadowdark: ShadowRim Excursion
    Savage Worlds: Hell Divers
    Ambition & Avarice: Maelstrom Island
    Time Zone: Central Daylight Time (GMT-5)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkerry View Post
    Just purchased the rulset and bestiary for it, will most likely be running the adventure included with the ruleset to get an idea of how the ruleset functions in Fantasy Grounds.
    I haven‘t tried the adventure in the ruleset, just heard it is about average. I tried Into the Underdark, which is lot of fun until now.
    Tell me how you like the ruleset adventure. There are some really high quality adventures available for 13th Age..

I will be fiddling with this as well. I wish more products were implemented in FG though. I have heard great things about the mega adventure (Eyes of the Stone Thief) and assorted encounter modules written for this.

Those writing adventures are well known writer, like Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan. It takes a couple of years to finish writing adventures for this small team, though. There are some dozen adventures available, if you purchase directly from pelgrane press and subscribe to 13th Age monthly.
    You can enter the adventures manually into FG, one by one proceeding with the progress of the adventurer group. I did so for Pathfinder entering season adventures, and do now with 13th Age. I would recommend ‚Into the Underdark‘ from ASH LAW.
    If you purchased the Bestiary as well, most encounters are already ready to use. Entering new ones is a bit time consuming, but you won‘t need that many. Overall 13th Age shines with very fast and unique combat, making an encounter not a long lasting session of combat taking more than one hour, but more or less a quarter of this time. Encounters are not ‚just another endless fight with mindless and meaningless enemies‘, but a very unique experience which integrate into the story seamlessly and differ from the standard ‚D20‘ approach. That‘s why you don‘t get Experience Points for defeating monsters. But that‘s another story... ��

I actually found someone's conversion of the classic 3.5e Adventure Path Age of Worms for 13th Age.

Its a long one but I might give it a go.
    Last edited by Mentalic; October 17th, 2018 at 23:49.

Some even convert Pathfinder adventure path adventures to 13th Age. It‘s easy for converting existing monsters. I‘m struggling doing it, though. I’would assume player‘s would reach max. adventurer level after 25% of those adventures, because Pathfinder is encounter intense. On the other hand, the Players would rush 4 times faster through those scenarios, because combat is handled differently in 13th Age and instead of spending one hour as we did recently for an Pathfinder encounter we still fight after turn 10, we would’ve been through after turn 7 with less rolling in 13th Age.

Playing an adventure designed for 13th Age first, helps to get into the rules like e.g. Icons as well I‘d say. The one in the core rule book is probably not best suited. That‘s why I mention Into the underdark, where you not only have encounters adepted for groups between 3-6 players, but will get GM notes on Icons like ‚If an adventurer is associated with the Icon xyz, he can spend his 6 to get the following benefits..‘, which converted adventures usually won‘t have. It will as well give several possible opportunities a path can take, making it very flexible, an adventure made for a different ruleset might not have, and would look rail-roaded.
    I like the writing style from ASH LAW on the one adventure above, as well. He is using some quite interesting ideas here.

That said, all is possible. I’ve enough material to convert as well, and at some point in time might convert an Harnmaster adventure. But please don‘t turn away from 13th Age, if someone converted an adventure, which is not ‚fit for purpose‘, getting wrong impressions on the system, after trying to play it. It would not deserve it..
    Last edited by Targas; October 18th, 2018 at 05:41.

I have just brought the rule set and I plan to run the odd one off game as I'm still only half way through running the Tombs of Annihilation for 5e. I brought the hardback and some pdfs from the bundle of Holding a few years ago and actually managed to run 13th age game on fantasy grounds using MoreCore which went ok technically but I didn't have a good grip on how to use Icons and one unique things as its all contrary to to 40 years worth of experience running DnD type games. My interest in 13a has been revived by the new 13 Age for Glorantha and i have a little adventure for it which i want to run the next online fantasy grounds event

Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    ...My interest in 13a has been revived by the new 13 Age for Glorantha...
    I stumbled upon my old Runequest material in the cellar. Core rules, Foes, Cults of Prax, Book of Treasure Plunder, Apple Lane, Fangs, BRP Into Guide, Questworld with 9 adventures,... maybe it‘s time to read into it, as I recently got 13G as well..?
    So much 1.Print Material tells you how old you are.
    Last edited by Targas; November 9th, 2018 at 12:30.

Thread Information