STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Powers on the Action Tab that are not tied to Spell Casting

Perhaps there is a way to do this that I have missed, but if I want to add a power to the action tab in Pathfinder, I have to add it to a spell casting group. The closest I can get to what I want is to define the group as being a spontaneous caster (Sorcerer) and enter the power as a cantrip.

What I want to do is add a power (either some special ability or magic item power) with a uses per day, the way I would do on a 5E character sheet.

Is there an existing extension or mod that can do this?

- Robert

Do as you do, but used prepared casting, put 10 (or whatever you need) in level 1 entry in the "spell" class. Add the power to the level 1 header. Then enter Preparation mode and prepare the power how ever many times you need.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I've seen this answer given a couple times now. Is the Add Power function licensed only to 5E? Or is it just too complicated to implement onto other character sheets like Pathfinder/Starfinder?

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Powers themselves, in the form in the 5E rulseset, are specific to 5E. It makes much better sense to use the Spell classes in PF as the actions available within are designed for PF.

It really is just a hang-up of being called "spell" class and adding "spell" records. Players have been implementing feats, "powers”, class abilities, etc. in the PF ruleset using spells and spells classes for many years. If you can’t get past the labels, then maybe look at modifying the current PF code to have power relevant labels in what will essentially be a 99% duplication of the current spell class copied to a "power" class.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Powers themselves, in the form in the 5E rulseset, are specific to 5E. It makes much better sense to use the Spell classes in PF as the actions available within are designed for PF.

It really is just a hang-up of being called "spell" class and adding "spell" records. Players have been implementing feats, "powers”, class abilities, etc. in the PF ruleset using spells and spells classes for many years. If you can’t get past the labels, then maybe look at modifying the current PF code to have power relevant labels in what will essentially be a 99% duplication of the current spell class copied to a "power" class.
    So it's just a this is how we have always done it situation. My question wasn't because of a hang-up it was genuine curiosity.

FG Con 13 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 12-14 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.
    My Blog
    Technical Administrator for Fantasy Grounds College
    Holder of the "Ultimate License" | Allower of Demo Players!
    GM of Nephilim Wars - 5E Post Apocalyptic Campaign
    DM of Destiny Calls - 5E Homebrew that includes Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Ah well, it just doesn't look as pretty. But I was afraid this was the answer.

- Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Skillkoil View Post
    So it's just a this is how we have always done it situation. My question wasn't because of a hang-up it was genuine curiosity.
    It's always been done his way, because it works for Pathfinder. As I said, 5E powers are different from powers/abilities in Pathfinder. Maybe I’m missing something, so please explain what’s your "use case" for Pathfinder where you think that the 5E powers functionality will solve? That is, what Pathfinder powers can't be implemented in the current PFRPG ruleset setup, but could be implemented with he 5E powers code?

Quote Originally Posted by rhammer2 View Post
    Ah well, it just doesn't look as pretty. But I was afraid this was the answer.
    It looks virtually identical. Here is an example of a 10 use a day "thing" that does 1d6 fire damage - on the left D&D 5E "Powers", on the right PFRPG with the "spell" class called Powers:

Other than the CL/CC fields in the header, and the level headers, this is exactly the same. The reason why? The 5E powers are actually a slightly cut down version of the 5E spells - what do you get if you open a 5E "power" (click on the shield link)? You get a Spell record! Using a PFRPG spell class, and renaming it "Powers" (see my example) gives you the exact same functionality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 30th, 2018 at 14:36.

Functionally it works the same, but the power/special ability is not a level and I find that aesthetically displeasing.

- Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rhammer2 View Post
    Functionally it works the same, but the power/special ability is not a level and I find that aesthetically displeasing.
    Fair enough. You can remove that by writing an extension.

Minor ascetics aside, does my example above shows you how to what what you requested in your original post?

Thread Information