Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 10 First 12345 ... Last
    So you play Rolemaster, using FG, but without a ruleset? How does that work?

I'm curious. RM is one of my favorite games, and I'm new to FG.

We just picked up a copy at Gencon to check it out and see if it was something we wanted to use.

Really all for rolemaster you'd need to code in is those dang crit tables FG does support % rolls, tho not sure if the open ended nature is supported as yet...but its not all that hard to track anyways

Really - FG will allow you to have the tabletop online - books are optional

I'd love to see Rolemaster actually, as I always did like the system And I wanna get a hold of the Shadow World stuff as it always looked like a cool setting to me!
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

How about doing a "Millennium's end" mod. Complete with transparent overlays and target silhouette.

I'm currently using FG to run a 2nd edition AD&D game using only the 3 core books. That campaign is set in the wilderlands. In my face to face game I run a highly modified DragonQuest game situated in Shadow World.

Alarian

So, if you don't need the rulesets to play. What does having a ruleset get you? Just trying to understand.

Basically the ruleset also includes any custom tabletop programming, char sheet stuff, etc.

It also allows you to keep game info in the program, so you don't need to have a dozen books layin about the computer room. Or open as PDF's if that's your kick.
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by raynbow
    So, if you don't need the rulesets to play. What does having a ruleset get you? Just trying to understand.
    Ultimately, Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop - it gives you a way for a gamemaster to connect to his players and chat with them as NPCs or as a Narrator, it allows you to see each other's die rolls and allows the GM to display a map and draw on it. FG at its lowest level is a set of dice for everyone, a battlemap everyone can see and draw on, and a way to "chat" to each other in character and out of character. FG also allows the GM to share images, maps and text with his players (handouts).

Rulesets are your RPG game's rulebooks. In a face to face game they sit around the table or maybe on the floor, side table or even in a laptop. In Fantasy Grounds they can be input into the program so instead of using *your* game's rulebooks you can use the data input into FG. Probably the most important thing in a FG rulesset is the character sheet which can be seen by the player or GM.

If everyone has the books of the game you are playing already, there is very little need for having the game rules as reference in FG - it’s a convenience not something necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    Ultimately, Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop - it gives you a way for a gamemaster to connect to his players and chat with them as NPCs or as a Narrator, it allows you to see each other's die rolls and allows the GM to display a map and draw on it. FG at its lowest level is a set of dice for everyone, a battlemap everyone can see and draw on, and a way to "chat" to each other in character and out of character. FG also allows the GM to share images, maps and text with his players (handouts).

Rulesets are your RPG game's rulebooks. In a face to face game they sit around the table or maybe on the floor, side table or even in a laptop. In Fantasy Grounds they can be input into the program so instead of using *your* game's rulebooks you can use the data input into FG. Probably the most important thing in a FG rulesset is the character sheet which can be seen by the player or GM.

If everyone has the books of the game you are playing already, there is very little need for having the game rules as reference in FG - it’s a convenience not something necessary.
    Very eloquently put G.
    In my experience a ruleset is not essential but is very helpful. May be different for others but I find it's quicker to look stuff up in-game than via the manuals. Helps keep my focus on the screen too (so I notice when bob is edging his token away from the impending fireball

Quote Originally Posted by Toadwart
    Very eloquently put G.
    In my experience a ruleset is not essential but is very helpful. May be different for others but I find it's quicker to look stuff up in-game than via the manuals. Helps keep my focus on the screen too (so I notice when bob is edging his token away from the impending fireball
    I suggest you lock the tokens to keep ole Bob from edging away.

Rulesets have all the general advantages and disadvantages of electronic data in general. Searchable data can make things very convenient. The list of searchable spells in d20 is a good example of a great advantage of a ruleset over a physical book. On the other hand it is possible to just drown in data and not be able to find anything, or for the data structure to be so poor you can't access it faster than just looking it up.

Another interesting thing about rulesets is that the better the players and GM know the game, the less it is needed and the more minimal it can be.

I think FG shines compared to some other virtual tabletops in you don’t really need a ruleset before you can start playing. I don’t disagree a well done one can be very helpful though.

Two add my tuppence worth ...
    Rulesets do not just have to be a colection of rules, they can contain reams of campaign specific details; deities, geography, history, campaign-specific equipment and so on.

Thread Information