STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by UngainlyTitan View Post
    I have been spending my afternoon reading threads about issue with the UI and I have been an FG user for over 6 years. My players constantly complain about the UI and do not remember how to do things. We have switched DM's so when I DM'ed I would go in to their character sheets and help with action and spell automation. Still it has a big learning curve.
    The circular menus are a pain, particularly when they go more than one level deep. It is easy to miss the icon and then you are back to the start.
    Lack of scalable text is a is a pain, as is the lack of multi monitor support.

I have not being paying much attention to D&D Beyond until recently when they gave away the free copy of Acquisitions Incorporated and had another look both the UI, the character sheet and the mobile app. If WotC buys or develops a VTT in the next five years (I am betting they will buy one in 2) and FantasyGrounds has not improved its usability there will only be old users and WoTC will eat their lunch. This would disappoint me a lot.
    I think there is a lot of capability and a lot of potential but ease of use is very important.

I am old enough to remember the struggle for the desktop and in general Linux in all iterations was a superior OS to Windows or Mac but that did not save it. It was too hard to use, XWindows came too late and was not consistent across distros. There was more to it than that, of course.

As I have said; buried in all the threads on this topic are some very good suggestions as to how the UI may be improved. I am aware that will require a rewrite of the application, that does not mean it is a bad idea. All applications need a rewrite eventually as technical debt builds up.
    You can scale the text size with the scalui command or the slider in options. There's also a few extensions around that change the fonts.

By multi-monitor support I assume you mean being able to have say the combat tracker on another screen broken out of the FG main window. If so this kind of thing is not supported by Unity (the engine that is) very well (if at all) across all of the OS's Unity is available for (Windows, MacOS and Linux). If that isn't what you mean then you can drag the FG window across any number of screens that you want.

The other things are probably already on the wish-list so you can add your vote to those.

There's also the Forge where many dedicated community members have created extensions which considerably enhance the FG experience (although that is subjective as well since none of that may affect the things which you described as pain points in another post).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by eatatjoes View Post
    Tabs
    I believe there's a couple of extensions which add tabs. Check out the Forge.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    WoTC would only offer a VTT that runs their product. And non-DMs Guild content?

FG runs many other publisher’s games and tons of third party content.

The interface has steadily improved over the years. I still find it non-intuitive here and there but it does work well to run a game.

Third party coding is available for pretty much every spell and ability in 5e.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Plus WotC has never handled any electronic product well. MasterTools anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Plus WotC has never handled any electronic product well. MasterTools anyone.
    They have bought D&D Beyond which has a development team with a track record. Also they have been headhunting senior management from Microsoft, who probably know a thing or two about managing software development. They have also bought game development studios. Both WoTC and Hasbro are throwing some serious money into software outfits.

Blog Entries
    You all do know this is a thread in the Classic section of the forums right?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I guess that people don't realize the X Window System predates both Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac (in fact, Apple directly ripped it off). Linux has supported X since it was first released in the early '90s.

Classic MacOS (Jan 1984) actually predates the X Window System (June 1984) by about 6 months. The Apple Lisa, which also had a GUI, predates Classic MacOS by a year (1983).

Windows was announced in November of 1983, but did not release until 1985.

They are all descended from the Xerox Alto in 1973, probably the first computer to use the Desktop metaphor. The Zerox Alto was what Apple and Microsoft ripped off. Both companies have admitted as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
    I had three or four people who kept bugging me that I ought to get my rear over to Xerox PARC and see what they were doing. And so I finally did. I went over there. And they were very kind and they showed me what they were working on. And they showed me really three things, but I was so blinded by the first one that I didn’t even really see the other two. One of the things they showed me was object-oriented programming. They showed me that, but I didn’t even see that. The other one they showed me was really a network computer system. They had over a hundred Alto computers, all network using email, et cetera, et cetera. I didn’t even see that.

Now, remember, it was very flawed. What we saw was incomplete. They’d done a bunch of things wrong, but we didn’t know that at the time. And still, though, they had the germ of the idea was there and they’d done it very well. And within, you know, 10 minutes, it was obvious to me that all computers would work like this someday. It was obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates
    I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it
    The Zerox Thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I guess that people don't realize the X Window System predates both Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac (in fact, Apple directly ripped it off). Linux has supported X since it was first released in the early '90s.
    And X is pretty much the same now as it was then.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Classic MacOS (Jan 1984) actually predates the X Window System (June 1984) by about 6 months. The Apple Lisa, which also had a GUI, predates Classic MacOS by a year (1983).

Windows was announced in November of 1983, but did not release until 1985.

They are all descended from the Xerox Alto in 1973, probably the first computer to use the Desktop metaphor. The Zerox Alto was what Apple and Microsoft ripped off. Both companies have admitted as much.

The Zerox Thieves.
    Yeah PARC - they basically invented this modern UI because they were worried about the "Paperloss office" which still hasn't happened! ("Where Wizards Stay Up Late" is a good book about this subject including the origins of the internet).

Anyway, I suspect this thread got "revived" by a 1 post troll and pushed to the top, and it is totally irrelevant as its about FGC..

Thread Information