STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Creating new 5E subclasses (domains, archetypes, etc)

Hello!

I am wanting to create some new 5E subclasses, in particular divine domains (cleric) and martial archetypes (fighter) in FG. I have purchased the PHB, but it doesn't appear that I can edit the class entries to add new specializations directly. How can I go about creating new subclasses. I have done some preliminary searching, and came across Zachaeus' video about creating classes from scratch, but that's the closest I've found. I don't want to recreate the Cleric or Fighter classes, I just want to create subclasses/archetypes.

Any guidance would be very appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Duplicate the class. Then unlock the duplicate and modify it per Mr. Zs video.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Indeed you can't create archetypes in a vacuum; you need the whole class. The easiest thing to do is to copy the class from the SRD and then add in your archetype(s) to that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Okay that makes sense.
    One more basic question - how do I duplicate the class, to then unlock it and proceed?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorstorm View Post
    Okay that makes sense.
    One more basic question - how do I duplicate the class, to then unlock it and proceed?
    Click and hold and drag down the list a little and you will have a copy that you can unlock and edit.

Please help. I'm trying to create a new path for a Paladin.
    I have copied the class. I have unlocked it. I can edit text. I can create new specializations. But I cannot seem to edit any specializations or features. I cannot copy any specializations or features.
    I'm familiar with the copy & edit techniques for items and NPCs. This is my first crack at modifying a class.

One other thing, possibly related?, the other day I created a background. As the DM I can open the tables that were input. But players can see them, but cannot open them.

Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to FG. There are a couple of videos here which may well help https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Creation-Video

Players will only be able to see what you have shared with them. So make sure that whatever is in your background has all been shared (and that includes linked tables). The best method of sharing things like classes, backgrounds and races that you have created is to export everything to a module and share the module with your players.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you so much! The video was very helpful! As was your advice about sharing for the background tables. Thank you! These did create a couple of other questions though, if you don't mind...

Is there a way to format the text in the feature box like the source boxes? Like you can in other windows? I know about right clicking, but I don't see the text format option (see pic).
    In the video, the narrator says that FGU knows how to handle "spellcasting". Is there a list of the "built in things" that FGU knows to automate and what that syntax is?
    Also the videos are great, but is all this information that is being demonstrated available in text somewhere? That'd be so awesome, it's not always convenient to watch videos.

fgu-text.jpg

Yes, you can format text in the features box either by right clicking and selecting the paragraph type or by using the normal shortcut keys.

There's not really a list of know built in things - there's only a couple. Spellcasting is the only one I can think of off-hand in class building. There's a few for races and NPCs and some feats are automated as well. But there's no master list.

Thread Information