STAR TREK 2d20

Questions about having a second copy of FG running as a player account while DMing

I have seen the advice about having a second account to run as a player while you are DMing and I wanted to try it, but I think I did something wrong.

Running the install a second time on my primary computer just opens the settings on my normal account and never prompts for an install. Is there any other way to do it so I can have two installs on the same computer (windows 10)? I'll probably end up using a second computer most of the time, but if I can do two on one it would be a nice backup if I ever need to travel and play.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; July 21st, 2018 at 21:40.

Blog Entries
    Don't install again.

Launch the program a 2nd time.

Connect to "localhost" instead of your IP or alias.

This only works running the 2nd instance in the same computer.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I don't understand those instructions, sorry. What do you mean by connect to localhost and in what window?

Right click on the FG icon and run a second instance off the same program

Then connect instance 1 as a GM (Host Game)

In the 2nd running instance, Click Join Game

Put in a name different from your GM name and everyone else and under Host Address put localhost

click start
    Two roads diverged in the woods and I, I took the one less traveled, and that has made me hopelessly lost!

Under the "join game" window on the second instance (not a second installation) use localhost as the connection address to connect to the GM instance on the same computer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ahhh, that is very easy. Thank you!

^.^

np. Ok folks crisis averted, nothing to see here, Game on, Game on.
    Two roads diverged in the woods and I, I took the one less traveled, and that has made me hopelessly lost!

my issue is that Steam won't let me run a 'second instance' as it say 'error, app is open' any ideas about how to counter that? I bought the FG game from Steam

Quote Originally Posted by FundPirate View Post
    my issue is that Steam won't let me run a 'second instance' as it say 'error, app is open' any ideas about how to counter that? I bought the FG game from Steam
    Hi FundPirate, welcome to FG.

Don't run the second instance from Steam; either right click on the FG icon on the task bar (for the one that is already running) and select Fantasy Grounds or start it from the fantasygrounds.exe file in ProgramFiles(x86)/Fantasy Grounds.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information