5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Some further info and tips for Mac users here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/25269...9820884543295/

There's also a recent Mac installer here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/...stallation.php But it sounds like you have that already.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Some further info and tips for Mac users here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/25269...9820884543295/

There's also a recent Mac installer here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/...stallation.php But it sounds like you have that already.
    Wait, so there IS a native Mac installer? And that's different from the Steam version? I think I might actually go with that one instead then, following the steps I mentioned on my previous post. Will that work without any hiccups?

I feel I might be annoying all of you with so many questions, I'm sorry if that's the case. All of you have been very helpful. It's just that I've never been so confused or found so many conflicting instructions when trying to install an app before.
    "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Antunes View Post
    Wait, so there IS a native Mac installer? And that's different from the Steam version? I think I might actually go with that one instead then, following the steps I mentioned on my previous post. Will that work without any hiccups?
    I think it's the same if not very similar. It's a Mac "installer" but it installs the required Wine setup as well so that you can run Fantasy Grounds (which is a Windows application, not a native Mac application).

Give it a go - follow the steps outlined before (and also in that Mac tips post I linked). You can try to get it running without any purchase. Then all you'd have to do in future is enter your ultimate license key and run a FG update - there is no re-installation.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's cool, mate. The only stupid question is the one for which you already have an answer. And I don't think you can annoy The T.R.E.N.L.O.E with questions, the AI hasn't figured out how to be annoyed by legitimate questions...yet
    Two roads diverged in the woods and I, I took the one less traveled, and that has made me hopelessly lost!

I think it's the same if not very similar. It's a Mac "installer" but it installs the required Wine setup as well so that you can run Fantasy Grounds (which is a Windows application, not a native Mac application).

Give it a go - follow the steps outlined before (and also in that Mac tips post I linked). You can try to get it running without any purchase. Then all you'd have to do in future is enter your ultimate license key and run a FG update - there is no re-installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Righ View Post
    It's cool, mate. The only stupid question is the one for which you already have an answer. And I don't think you can annoy The T.R.E.N.L.O.E with questions, the AI hasn't figured out how to be annoyed by legitimate questions...yet
    Alright, folks. I'm gonna give it a shot and try to get this thing working now.

Many thanks to all of you for the help and replies!

Blog Entries
    A couple of years ago the Steam purchase sync into FG only worked on PCs (it relied on the Steam client running to get the purchases). For a while now that has not been required - sync your Steam purchases with your FG account here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...eamAccount.xcp

@Augusto Antunes - you may want to use the Steam installation of base FG to get you going, as this is a complete image that includes Wine to get you running. There is not a native Mac client yet. Once installed you shouldn't need Steam at all - and upgrade and update through the FG application.

Once you have your Ultimate license, use this during your installation - you shouldn't need to go to Standard first. But, if you do, it's not a problem - just change the license key in the FG settings screen and run an update. There's no re installation.
    The Mac installer from this website is actually better than the one from Steam now.

So, I downloaded the installer from the Fantasy Grounds website and purchased everything else from the Steam store. Got it installed, updated and everything is working perfectly, including all of the DLC. Didn't encounter any problems and it was actually quick and easy. I still had to use the Steam client just to validate the license, but the app is working fine without it. So thanks again for all the help!

There's still one issue: I see that Fantasy Grounds isn't optimized for retina displays (I should've known, since it isn't a native Mac app), so all the UI elements, text and images are looking terribly jagged and pixelated. If I rescale the UI, which is almost a necessity since I'm on a laptop and need all the screen space I can get, all of the text becomes almost unreadable. But it's OK. I think I can manage with the UI at 100%. I just sincerely hope that the upcoming Unity Engine update will have a native Mac version optimized for retina displays... Otherwise, my future experience with Fantasy Grounds will be severely compromised.
    Last edited by Augusto Antunes; July 4th, 2018 at 03:51.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Antunes View Post
    So, I downloaded the installer from the Fantasy Grounds website and purchased everything else from the Steam store. Got it installed, updated and everything is working perfectly, including all of the DLC. Didn't encounter any problems and it was actually quick and easy. I still had to use the Steam client just to validate the license, but the app is working fine without it. So thanks again for all the help!

There's still one issue: I see that Fantasy Grounds isn't optimized for retina displays (I should've known, since it isn't a native Mac app), so all the UI elements, text and images are looking terribly jagged and pixelated. If I rescale the UI, which is almost a necessity since I'm on a laptop and need all the screen space I can get, all of the text becomes almost unreadable. But it's OK. I think I can manage with the UI at 100%. I just sincerely hope that the upcoming Unity Engine update will have a native Mac version optimized for retina displays... Otherwise, my future experience with Fantasy Grounds will be severely compromised.
    Good to hear. Yea, FG is not optimized for high resolution displays. As you noted, you can change the native display resolution. There are also some "Big Fonts" extensions ont he forums here that might get you something more to your liking. Also, in the chat window you can type the command /scaleui 120 or any value between 50 & 200 and you might get something (even combined with an extension) more to your liking.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Native Mac and Linux clients are a big part of the Unity port..
    Retina on Mac... you will have to play with some of those options that LordEntrails mentions and find the best compromise...

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Good to hear. Yea, FG is not optimized for high resolution displays. As you noted, you can change the native display resolution. There are also some "Big Fonts" extensions ont he forums here that might get you something more to your liking. Also, in the chat window you can type the command /scaleui 120 or any value between 50 & 200 and you might get something (even combined with an extension) more to your liking.
    Yeah, I tried rescaling the UI already. The problem is that I need the UI elements to be smaller, not bigger, and that makes all the graphics look even worse and the text even harder to read. But I got the scale at about 80% and that's manageable. Doesn't look too great, but at least I have some free space and can still read things on the screen if I squint a little.

I'll look into that big fonts extension and see if it improves the readability. Thanks!

Thread Information