5E Character Create Playlist

Simple questions about combat management

I know there are plenty of guides for both FG and FG-D&D5e. But honestly I haven't found a good one yet... so please help me with these simple questions/issues.

1. Automatic attack with automatic damage. Currently we drag and drop the [Attack: +3] from character sheet onto a token on the board. Then if it was a hit we drag the [Damage: +1]. Can it roll the damage automatically if it was a hit? It seems to automatically make the roll a ciritical damage roll when appropriate...

2. Moving restrictions. At some point we somehow made it so that the dm has to confirm a move before a player could move their character on the battle map. I dunno how I did that and would like to know how to turn it off and on. Additionally, is there some convenient way to make sure unit doesn't move further than its speed? Or do I have to keep doublechecking the distance with each character sheet and effects to make sure the move is legal.

3. Restrict attacks to be made. Similarly to the previous question, can FG autmatically detect when a unit tries to attack a target that is actually out of reach or that it is missing LOS to?

4. XP field. Is there an experience field on the character sheets? we can't seem to find it.

5. Other tips? Is there some nice feature that FG or the 5e-ruleset provides that you missed when you started out and wished you had known (as DM or player) ? I've seen there are som available plugins...are they good for beginners or should we focus on the basic functionalities first and customize things later?

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by WingsOC; June 18th, 2018 at 15:05.

Hi WingsOC welcome to FG.

1) There are several methods of making attack and damage rolls. the most common is to place the PCs and NPCs on the Combat Tracker and then drag them from the CT onto the map. Players can then target their enemies by holding down the CTRL key and left clicking on the token on the map or the NPC in the Combat Tracker. Once the PC has a target they can then just double click on the attack dice on their actions tab and then on the damage if they hit. As you say FG knows when to apply critical damage. Forcing saving throws and heals can also be achieved via targeting. As you have discovered you can also drag and drop the attacks/damage/saves/heals etc onto the enemy on the CT or onto the token on the map. Lots more information on the character sheet here. And more information on the Combat Tracker here.
    2) Right click over any token on the map and select 'Unlock tokens'. This will allow the players to move the tokens without you having to confirm the move (although be warned this means that players can all move tokens all over the place all the time and that is wholly undesirable).
    3) No. You just have to do that visually
    4) Yes. Click the small magnifying glass next to the class and level line on the character sheet to open the dialog.
    5) Until you are fully familiar with how FG works don't bother with extensions. Once you are then you can browse them all here.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    re: movement
    The GM has enough things to worry about. Explain movement to your players - it is a max of x-squares and no more than y-squares may be diagonal.
    If you spot them abusing it tell them to behave,

Thanks for a thorough reply.

Thread Information