5E Character Create Playlist

Free Converted Adventures

I downloaded 2 free adventures from the DM's Guild and converted them into FG modules. Am I allowed to post them here and give them away for free?

If you have the permission of the original author and DM's Guild...

Essentially - no you can't post them here unless the whole of the adventure was released under the OGL (highly unlikely) - look at the copyright/terms of use statement in the product.

As the product was released on the DMs Guild, then any derivatives of that product are more than likely constrained by the DMs Guild requirements. i.e. it's not OGL/SRD material and it adheres to the WotC requirements for self publishing in the DMs Guild - which allows use of some of the WotC copyright/trademark material. So products based on the original DMs Guild material will probably have to be published in the DMs Guild as well.

First step - get in touch with the original author and ask them if they'd be interested in you posting in the DMs Guild a Fantasy Grounds conversion of their work. It's up to them - they might want to include it with their product, they may allow you to post it, they may not, they may not reply.

Whatever the result, you can't redistribute any product based on their publication without their permission - even if you distribute it for free. Them not replying to you asking for permission is classed as them not giving you permission - you have to get permission.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Essentially - no you can't post them here unless the whole of the adventure was released under the OGL (highly unlikely) - look at the copyright/terms of use statement in the product.

As the product was released on the DMs Guild, then any derivatives of that product are more than likely constrained by the DMs Guild requirements. i.e. it's not OGL/SRD material and it adheres to the WotC requirements for self publishing in the DMs Guild - which allows use of some of the WotC copyright/trademark material. So products based on the original DMs Guild material will probably have to be published in the DMs Guild as well.

First step - get in touch with the original author and ask them if they'd be interested in you posting in the DMs Guild a Fantasy Grounds conversion of their work. It's up to them - they might want to include it with their product, they may allow you to post it, they may not, they may not reply.

Whatever the result, you can't redistribute any product based on their publication without their permission - even if you distribute it for free. Them not replying to you asking for permission is classed as them not giving you permission - you have to get permission.
    Got it Thanks for the advice!

I was able to contact the author of the adventure and he gave me permission to distribute it for free. Can this be done from the Fantasy Grounds Store?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    I was able to contact the author of the adventure and he gave me permission to distribute it for free. Can this be done from the Fantasy Grounds Store?
    You will have to ask SmiteWorks directly, [email protected]

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information