DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Error during update check - Cannot install

Got a new computer and was trying to install. Downloaded the most recent web installer (I don't see the offline installer any longer) and receive multiple errors.

This is what it shows in the updater:
    Getting packages from FG server
    Error during update check

This is what I get when I try to login to restore purchases:
    CredentialsProcessUserCookie
    Empty network buffer

This is what I get as the actual installer error:
    ProcessProductXML
    PRODUCT LISTING
    Empty network buffer

Searching the forums it says to try installing with my login. I did not see any other suggestions that looked helpful. I have tried: reboots, hard line vs WIFI, downloading the installer again, putting in my key, leaving the key blank, logging in, and not logging in.

Any further help or ideas would be appreciated thanks!

Blog Entries
    Check all your settings are entered including forum username AND password.
    Make sure license is in correct field.
    Post actual screenshot of error please.

Empty network buffer usually indicates that the network connection from Fantasy Grounds installer/updater to the FG update server is being blocked. Check your Windows firewall, any other security software, and make sure your network is set to Private.

Regards,
    JPG

fgerror1.png

fgerror2.png

fgerror3.png

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Check all your settings are entered including forum username AND password.
    Make sure license is in correct field.
    Post actual screenshot of error please.
    Not sure which settings should be checked. They are filled out as best as I can decipher. If I wanted to install the free version I would leave the key blank - but that doesn't work either. Putting the key in either of the top 2 slots yields the same error. Screen shots of errors above.

All PC firewalls are down. One question which might be pertinent: Do I need to have a specific port open (or use DMZ) at the router level?

Forgot important info:
    Win10 Pro, ver 10.0.16299 Build 16299
    Went ahead and tried setting myself to DMZ but the errors persist (DMZ on WIFI.)
    Last edited by Nemesis; June 6th, 2018 at 05:04.

No, the updater is just making a straight HTTP/HTTPS request to the server. DMZ, port forwarding and router settings should have nothing to do with it.

An empty network buffer means that the response is zero bytes or empty. This means that the connection is blocked (if every request gets the message), or network interference is causing dropped connections (if occasional request gets message).

It still looks like something is blocking access to the Internet. This is usually at the machine level, such as Windows Firewall, Norton, AVG, or other security software. Also, if your network is not set to Private, Windows locks down network access to programs.

Regards,
    JPG

I was finally able to find the issue, posting here in case another user might need it. I was set to a home network but it was not a machine level issue. I tried the installer on another machine receiving the same errors verifying that my laptop was not the issue.
    I checked my Dlink router and found I had setup a WEBSITE FILTER with some DENY rules (for family protection) that even though they didn't deny this site they must have been causing a routing issue while trying to connect with the downloader. Once I disabled ACCESS CONTROL I was able to update my other computer and then my laptop had no trouble installing.
    Thanks to all of you who posted to help.
    Last edited by Nemesis; June 9th, 2018 at 09:18. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I was finally able to find the issue, posting here in case another user might need it. I was set to a home network but it was not a machine level issue. I tried the installer on another machine receiving the same errors verifying that my laptop was not the issue.
    I checked my Dlink router and found I had setup a WEBSITE FILTER with some DENY rules (for family protection) that even though they didn't deny this site they must have been causing a routing issue while trying to connect with the downloader. Once I disabled ACCESS CONTROL I was able to update my other computer and then my laptop had no trouble installing.
    Thanks to all of you who posted to help.
    In my case i was installing Fantasy Grounds with a wrong installation address (for example it was set to E: instead of D: [*no drive E exists])

Thread Information