5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 13 First 123412 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Extensions are a best effort by the developers done on their free time. This whole telling people how to release something freely developed is hogwash.

@Tielc, you have a minor bug in your packaging as pointed out above, other than that, from the video it looks like a neat addition, I'll have to use it in my 5e one-shots.
    All the above posts that are making suggestions from packaging to ease of use are just that - suggestions on how to improve things. Not everyone has the same level of programming ability or familiarity with how Fantasy Grounds works. And sometimes its just another set of eyes giving a different perspective on a solution. Every one of the posters is well aware that developers are doing this in their free time. The OP has made several posts requesting help, advice or guidance and the above replies were useful.

Sorry, when I saw the first post I knew what had happened. I was out all night. I've updated the uploaded file.
    Last edited by Tielc; June 4th, 2018 at 14:16.

Extensions are a best effort by the developers done on their free time. This whole telling people how to release something freely developed is hogwash.
    Recommendations on how to make an extension more robust and to work for all users first time are valuable recommendation to give. You might think it's hogwash, but I would imagine most community developers will find the feedback welcome.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

@Tielc, you have a minor bug in your packaging as pointed out above, other than that, from the video it looks like a neat addition, I'll have to use it in my 5e one-shots.
    My only intent was to help a dev out. If that's not how it came across my apologies. If someone has a good solution to do something that I've written, I'd take that feedback and use it.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I've gotten through a cup of coffee this morning, something I should always do before tackling any task for the day. Just saying. I'm going to incorporate the entire character sheet to eliminate the need to modify the 5e ruleset. Assuming this doesn't come with any other complications, I'll update the original post with this new extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Tielc View Post
    I'm going to incorporate the entire character sheet to eliminate the need to modify the 5e ruleset. Assuming this doesn't come with any other complications, I'll update the original post with this new extension.
    The main complication is that it means possibly more work to make the extension compatible if (when) future FG versions are released that affect the XML in question. That is, the extension will need to be changed to use the new XML, plus the changes needed for the extension, to keep compatibility with the latest FG release.

Or, there are more chances of a clash with other extensions.

As you noted in post #1, the ideal solution is to use the merge rules, but you can't because the label control is not named - hopefully your request to add this will be addressed in the next release.

If merge rules are not possible, then the next step is to override the whole <windowclass> entry where the control resides. The rest of the XML file where that <windowclass> is specified is not needed, nor is "the entire character sheet". The more information you include, the more chances you have of a future FG release breaking it, or the extension clashing with another community extension.

My recommendation would be to just include the modified <windowclass name="charsheet_main"> XML section in your extension, as I mentioned in post #6 of this thread.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I've updated the download in the original post removing the need to make any changes to the 5e Ruleset. I'm also rendering a new video showing how this extension works.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The main complication is that it means possibly more work to make the extension compatible if (when) future FG versions are released that affect the XML in question. That is, the extension will need to be changed to use the new XML, plus the changes needed for the extension, to keep compatibility with the latest FG release.

Or, there are more chances of a clash with other extensions.

As you noted in post #1, the ideal solution is to use the merge rules, but you can't because the label control is not named - hopefully your request to add this will be addressed in the next release.

If merge rules are not possible, then the next step is to override the whole <windowclass> entry where the control resides. The rest of the XML file where that <windowclass> is specified is not needed, nor is "the entire character sheet". The more information you include, the more chances you have of a future FG release breaking it, or the extension clashing with another community extension.

My recommendation would be to just include the modified <windowclass name="charsheet_main"> XML section in your extension, as I mentioned in post #6 of this thread.
    This actually required a decent amount of work. As doing a merge, I was able to leave out most of the xml for even the entities I've modified, including their scripts. I had to go back and spend a decent amount of time making sure I hadn't missed anything. Now, for when I deal with this in the future. If I'm editing an xml class that itself is already doing a merge, and I want to completely override the 5e ruleset implementation, how would I handle that? So I don't want the 5e ruleset implementation, but maybe I need to the CoreRPG stuff that's in that class already?

Quote Originally Posted by Tielc View Post
    Now, for when I deal with this in the future. If I'm editing an xml class that itself is already doing a merge, and I want to completely override the 5e ruleset implementation, how would I handle that? So I don't want the 5e ruleset implementation, but maybe I need to the CoreRPG stuff that's in that class already?
    You could use merge="delete" on the relevant controls, etc. to remove all of the 5E stuff you don't want.

Or take the CoreRPG implementation and add your stuff to that - overwriting the original CoreRPG and 5E layers.

@Celestian, was referring to Tren here, I'm not behind the whole enforcing standardization from free contributions. There's a place for that, but FG is more of a loose confederation. Sure there's a bug that kept it from working, could have done without the pontificating.
    Last edited by Ken L; June 5th, 2018 at 00:17.

Thread Information