DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    That's the problem with text recognition, it has flaws.

If you want lots of monsters, see Maasq's conversion of the Monster a Day / 1d6 Adventures. It has over 400 NPCs in it; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ter-Compendium
    As always, thanks so much for the replies! I appreciate the links as well I will have to cross reference what's already been done by these folks, I might have already done some unnesseray labor, but eh.

Shout-out to Minty23185Fresh and Zacchaeus as well!
    Last edited by mostcallmetim; April 25th, 2019 at 23:20.

Blog Entries
    If you want some of the information on why text recognition (from OneNote or other apps) often has problems, you can look up "ligature" and see that in many fonts, some character pairs are actually placed in the file as a single 'special' character. Plus, even though the recognition software tries to determine the font style used, their are a nearly unlimited number of fonts and variations that look exceedingly similar. Plus the issue of image quality.

Unfortunately, unless the PDF is always saved with all text and fonts included, often times you are going to get errors. And since many people use PDF to protect their files so they can not easily be "copied" to other sources, they don't want to use those features.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Unfortunately, unless the PDF is always saved with all text and fonts included, often times you are going to get errors.
    Most of the time when I fully extract all data from PDFs, the full font isn't even included—they're 'subfonts' with only the characters present in the text. Must be an InDesign function?

If the poster above is working with older material now in PDF form (such as AD&D 1E and 2E) that's because WotC requested people send in their best quality scans a few years back because the original manuscripts were lost, so they'll naturally be images rather than proper text and you'll be limited to the OCR capabilities of whatever software you use to attempt to figure out what the text is. Text styles, custom characters, ligatures, and many other factors (not the least of which is the image quality itself) all contribute to OCR fallibility.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Most of the time when I fully extract all data from PDFs, the full font isn't even included—they're 'subfonts' with only the characters present in the text. Must be an InDesign function?
    Don't know. But I do know most PDF print drivers have an option to embedd all fonts. So at least in some cases it depends upon what options are selected when the PDF is created.

And, as you point out, sometimes even the publishers don't have much option as to how the PDF is created and we (the end users) have no say in what features the PDF includes.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I would suggest Okular (It's a KDE product that can be run on Windows) which has been working really well for me when I work on conversions.

Here is a couple of things that may interest you.....cheers!

Pulling text from an image using google docs, I have done this and it was easy. Once the text was pulled was simple as copy/paste and a little proof reading.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC6VmwWEcXw

Also I haven't used this yet but will be soon, should include on your list Project: Author by Celestian.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...project+author
    Last edited by Beemanpat; January 15th, 2020 at 19:15. Reason: correct spelling

Thread Information