DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't Steam have some kind of smartcast functionality? A friend of mine launches a game in his computer upstairs and uses his 55" LCD TV as a monitor on the main floor.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Doesn't Steam have some kind of smartcast functionality? A friend of mine launches a game in his computer upstairs and uses his 55" LCD TV as a monitor on the main floor.
    Yep, Steamcast. Lots of ways to do things, you just have to figure out what's possible with the hardware you have.

Also remember, you need to not just display FG, but have a mouse and keyboard too

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I'm often surprised at how few people really "get" how SteamLink works. It's simply a remote desktop app. It's trivially easy to use it to get to your desktop and use your PC remotely, just like Teamviewer or any other remote desktop app. The only "steam magic" involved is that SteamLink has much better remote support for things like game controllers, mapping inputs, and so on. Also, it has a lot of pre-mapoed control schemes for most populsr games. Since it interfaces with the Steam app running on your PC, it makes selecting and configuring games much easier.

If you want to surf the web or check your email or whatever else you need your desktop for, it's simple to do with SteamLink. They don't advertise / position it as a general remote dekstop app, but that's exactly what it is. You theoretically don't need SteamLink, you could launch and run games with a differnt remote app, but the interface would suck ***. SteamLink makes controlling everything a hell of a lot easier, especially if you want to use a controller. Don't try to play remote games without SteamLink, but you can also use it to access your desktop.

I think part of the reason for the confusion is that previous to the development of SteamLink software, there were a number of different hardware items thst could export games over a wire. Not much different than a KVM switch really. Valve even made and sold a little hardware box for this, (Steam Box?) but it's since been discontinued.
    Last edited by Frunobulax; September 14th, 2023 at 10:32.

Nice necro.
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by dberkompas View Post
    Nice necro.
    Well, who cares? No one can keep up with every post on the forum, and I don't control the dates of search results the forum gives me. It's information that's relevant to the topic.

I'll bet you're a blast at parties.

If you don't have anything constructive to add to a discussion then please just leave it be.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

"As you wish" - Westley

Thread Information