STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    em dash is great indeed. I totally forgot about it. Alt+0151 and we are done. Unfortunately when i type /rollon the parser totally ignored the emdash. The output is
    [ERROR] Unable to find table (Character Creation Home Worlds).

Quite funny with those dashes.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    What about a tilde ~ ?
    I don't know whether a tilde makes a table usable in Fantasy Grounds. However, a tilde typically isn't used to transition between phrases or clauses. The tilde immediately calls to my mind a negation since logicians often use the tilde to indicate a negated statement. Hurley and Watson, for example—whose textbook I use when teaching Introduction to Logic—define a negation as follows: "A statement having a tilde as its main operator" (Hurley and Watson 725).

So,

"It is not the case that the weapon is magical."

translates into the following statement:

~M

Since this site has a lot of programmers and coders present, that stipulated meaning of the tilde seems preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    em dash is great indeed. I totally forgot about it. Alt+0151 and we are done.
    A hotkey combination is Ctrl + Alt + NumpadSub, which makes an unbroken em dash on MS Word when using a PC. That said, the em dash doesn't appear helpful--or even producible--in this context, so the hotkey combination is FYI . . .

Blog Entries
    It's more a technical limitation of FG's parser/clipboard stuff. It just doesn't deal well with custom characters, and in a /command you cannot even insert the ASCII value either.

Quote Originally Posted by L. R. Ballard View Post
    A hotkey combination is Ctrl + Alt + NumpadSub, which makes an unbroken em dash on MS Word when using a PC. That said, the em dash doesn't appear helpful--or even producible--in this context, so the hotkey combination is FYI . . .
    This shortcut is valid in Word only, as far as I know, and FG is in oblivion to it. But the standard Windows ASCII/UNICODE codes are working fine.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    It's more a technical limitation of FG's parser/clipboard stuff. It just doesn't deal well with custom characters, and in a /command you cannot even insert the ASCII value either.
    I see similar limitations in utilities that serve the education field. For example, the Canvas classroom management utility has a tool called SpeedGrader™. It allows graders to make Comments in the margins of electronic documents, but some special characters don't work--at least not for me.

Using Autohotkey, I got Microsoft Word to insert a horsehoe by using the following hotstring:

::*hw::U{+}2283!x
    return

That simple script was five years in the making for me! But that doesn't work in the Canvas Comments on SpeedGrader™. In Fantasy Grounds, the absence of some special characters or logical operators isn't a big deal.

Thread Information