5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Combat Tracker Game Name and Session Number Extension

What It Does
    This extension will override the Combat Tracker default title, replacing it with the adventure name and session number selected from the options menu.

The game name option has been pre-loaded with the module names from D&D 5e, Pathfinder adventure paths, Starfinder, and Call of Cthulhu. Game names also include generic ruleset names like Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, Castles and Crusades, Fate, Numenera, Rolemaster Classic, Savage Worlds, Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, and Dungeons and Dragons 4E. This extension also allows for 10 custom game names. If you want to add your own custom title tag, see the "Adding Custom Game Names" further down this post.

This extension supports session numbers 0 - 1000.

Screenshots

gmwct-options-menu.jpg

gmwct-combat-tracker-examples.jpg

Support Rulesets
    This extension is based off the CoreRPG ruleset and should be compatible with all rulesets. I have tested it with 3.5e, 4e, 5e, CoreRPG, Fate Core, and PFRPG.

Installation
    Download and copy the GMW-CT Session Number.ext file into your %appdata%\Fantasy Grounds\Extensions folder. Start Fantasy Grounds, and enable the extension when loading your campaign.

Usage
    When you have opened your campaign, click the options button, and set the CT Session: Game Name and CT Session: Session Number options. Open the combat tracker and you will see the "Game Name - Session X" title based upon the options you have chosen.

This extension will modify the combat tracker title in 4 different ways:

1. If Game Name and Session Number are blank, tracker will show "Combat Tracker".

2. If Game Name selected and Session Number is blank, tracker will show the Game Name only.

3. If Game Name is blank and Session Number is set, tracker will show the Session Number only.

4. If Game Name is set and Session Number is set tracker will show "Game Name - Session Number".

Important Notice
    Fantasy Grounds generates the title tag for the combat tracker when it is opened for the first time. You must set your options before opening the combat tracker for the first time during a session. If you change a CT Session option after opening the tracker, you must use the /reload command or restart Fantasy Grounds to update the combat tracker. Keep in mind that you cannot /reload if players are already connected.

Adding Custom Game Names
    To add your own custom game names, you need to edit the following files:

1. strings/adventure-title-strings.xml

2. scripts/gmw-ct.lua

Replace "Custom Name X" with the name of your game.

DID YOU SEE IT?
    Did you see and read the important notice above? Seriously, you need to read it.

Is Your Adventure Module Not Listed
    I know that there are a bunch of modules not listed. If anyone has a list, or wants to compile one, of all the adventures available for Fantasy Grounds, please send it to me and I will update the extension. Otherwise, I will update as time permits.

Git Repo
    Download the source code from Bitbucket

Download the extension below:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow, this is really cool! Nice work!

edit: Just tested it out. I'm running LMoP and really nice to have it show there.
    Last edited by Halfront; May 13th, 2018 at 23:44.

Nice one! Simple functionality, but a cool thing to have.

One thing to consider to make it truly universal for any adventure. Make the combat tracker title field editable by the GM, store the name in the campaign database and use that as the title for all combat trackers - both GM and players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Love It, Thanks

Madman..
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Blog Entries
    Thanks Trenloe. I like your idea. Since FG doesn't allow Lua file i/o, I wasn't able to do my original idea of loading the values from a text file onInit. Any chance you could point me towards some documentation dealing with text input fields?

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Any chance you could point me towards some documentation dealing with text input fields?
    See the stringfield here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/stringfield.xcp It inherits various controls - so click through the inherits links.

Take a look at Damned's MoreCore ruleset - this has a few labels fields that can be edited in place - the fields in the combat section of the PC sheet, for example.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Have you had any luck updating this extension to adapt the method Trenlore suggested?

Blog Entries
    No I haven't updated the extension in quite some time. There is an easier way to add custom labels to the combat tracker. Check out my toolkit, there is support for easily adding custom game names. Just add the names under a basic theme and hit publish, no xml coding at all. It will work with all the themes that I have tested with. The toolkit only generates a theme based on what elements you changed, so you do not have to create a full theme with images to use this function.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    No I haven't updated the extension in quite some time. There is an easier way to add custom labels to the combat tracker. Check out my toolkit, there is support for easily adding custom game names. Just add the names under a basic theme and hit publish, no xml coding at all. It will work with all the themes that I have tested with. The toolkit only generates a theme based on what elements you changed, so you do not have to create a full theme with images to use this function.
    Downloading it now thanks!

Thread Information