DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Variant AC extension?

Hey all, I was wondering if there was an extension for the variant AC rule where you get rid of the static 10 and roll a d20? If not does anybody know how to do it or could make it? Maybe a -10 AC +D20? Thanks
    When the GM smiles, it's too late!

ULTIMATE LICENSE GM

I can't say that I've heard of such a variant. Are you saying that instead of base 10 you roll a d20 and then add your armour and dex modifiers? If so wouldn't that make some character basically impossible to hit if they roll high?

There isn't a way to automate it but you could override the AC by entering a figure in the Misc box of the combat calculation dialog. (So if someone rolled 15 add a +5 into the modifier - if they rolled 2 then put a -8 into the modifier).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I’m not aware of anything like this for 5E. Someone created a base extension for this in 3.5e (actually, in response to a similar question you asked for that ruleset) here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...atic-10-for-AC

Maybe you could take that extension, and the process discussed in that thread, and make one for 5E?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I can't say that I've heard of such a variant. Are you saying that instead of base 10 you roll a d20 and then add your armour and dex modifiers? If so wouldn't that make some character basically impossible to hit if they roll high?

There isn't a way to automate it but you could override the AC by entering a figure in the Misc box of the combat calculation dialog. (So if someone rolled 15 add a +5 into the modifier - if they rolled 2 then put a -8 into the modifier).
    The desire is to re-calculate AC on every attack roll. So every attack becomes an opposed roll. Makes metagaming harder to do.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    The desire is to re-calculate AC on every attack roll. So every attack becomes an opposed roll. Makes metagaming harder to do.
    Hmm, well that would require something quite substantial I think since FG doesn't really handle opposed rolls. You can't even create an effect which would handle that since the AC modifier doesn't accept dice strings - only numbers. I can't really think of any way to do that without rolling everything manually.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I will see if that would work, didn't think about that one since it was not 5e...

ULTIMATE LICENSE GM

Yeah it's one of the official 5e variant rules. Instead of havi g a 10 base AC you have a d20 base AC. my group loves it. They hate getting hit on a 7 and missing on a 25 but it balances out so they also hit on a 7 so it works, plus I make them describe how they party, dodge and whatnot so combat is more descriptive.

ULTIMATE LICENSE GM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaley View Post
    ...I make them describe how they party, dodge and whatnot so combat is more descriptive.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Whaley View Post
    Yeah it's one of the official 5e variant rules.
    Where can I find this? I've gone through my DMG and I can't see it anywhere.

Where can I find this? I've gone through my DMG and I can't see it anywhere.
    https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...riantRules.pdf

ULTIMATE LICENSE GM

Thread Information