STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... Last

Thread: C & C Questions

C & C Questions

Considering buying into C&C, since it has good FG support (or so I've been told) and I'm wanting to try some new systems. Couple of questions as to what I should buy, though.

First off, I'm only interested in rules and non-module content. Adventures, modules, and so forth not so much, as I prefer to write all my own stuff. Also, I have a megadungeon I've been working at off and on for years and need an excuse to use...

I do want as many character/class/ability/spell options as possible. I like variety in options, and it's nice to be able as DM to suggest more to those players less inclined to read all the books.

I have zero idea how C&C setting/s work.

So which books and FG plugins should I pick up? And is this bundle (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...s=0_2140_0_0_0 ) worth picking up? I notice it does not include the Monsters & Treasure or Castle Keepers book.

Also, any general C&C thoughts and advice welcome.

Blog Entries
    I suppose I'm the primary DLC Developer for C&C, so... I recently updated both of the core books for the ruleset to the latest printings (C&C doesn't do "editions" apparently that was their initial promise or something) with all the latest features such as reference manuals, as much automation as the ruleset supports (more coming eventually, @Andraax is the ruleset developer) and so forth. It's a rules-lite d20 system, even more rules-lite than 5E in fact, and designed to give a 1E-esque "feel."

The ruleset comes with the Players Handbook and Monsters & Treasure and that's really all you need. @Mortar is the other DLC Developer who does C&C content and he is in the middle of updating the Castle Keeper's Guide to the latest printing and reference manual format.

Setting-wise, honestly anything goes. The "official" setting is Aihrde which is kinda medieval Germanic-ish? It sure ain't the Forgotten Realms, that's for sure. They also have the Haunted Highlands which is a lot darker and grittier, though they do provide places to fit HH into Aihrde if one wishes. Other people make up their own stuff or use other settings. @JohnD is one of the most experience FG GMs and he uses Greyhawk, for example.

Here's a link to the 2017 Quick Start Rules PDF, free download with a sample adventure with four quickie pregens.

Blog Entries
    C&C is a great system, @Talyn and I have been looking at attacking remastering pretty much the whole line-up. Bit by bit it well happen. Lot of material there, and not enough time with the new products in our queues.
    Last edited by Mortar; April 21st, 2018 at 02:04.
    Ultimate License Holder

As a note - the Castle Keeper's Guide is not needed - it is a compilation of optional rules.

The stuff I would buy given your comments (not using modules, design your own settings) are, in order of importance:

Player's Handbook
    Monsters and Treasure
    Classic Monsters
    Castle Keeper's Guide
    Arms and Armor
    Engineering Castles
    Engineering Dungeons

For specific "feels", look at the "Codex" books - Codex Celtarum, Codex Germanum, etc.

Blog Entries
    If you want options for your players, you may also want to look at the recently released Elemental Spells and the Player's Guide to Aihrde. From the content perspective, they add classes, races, equipment and spells even if you don't take the setting information on board.

There's also the Crusader's Companion (unofficial content) which adds some more classes, races, spells and creatures.

If you have more questions, ask away!
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    I always ran my C&C campaigns in Greyhawk.
    I enjoy C&C and all you need is the core ruleset - however it has something like 7 races and 13 classes and that is all (plenty enough for me but not for 3.5e players).

Blog Entries
    damned is quite right; you get a huge amount of mileage out of the base ruleset.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

Well, I acquired a sizable stack of books from a friend (to be returned "when he needs them," and knowing him & his group, the only time he'll need OSR/retroclone books is to prop a door open), so I've started reading through stuff.

As far as FG material goes, just the basic C&C Ruleset is needed? Any particular point to the FG version of the Castle Keeper's Guide if I've got a physical one?

Blog Entries
    Buy the $10 ruleset. Maybe Classic Monsters. All you need; the great thing is you can easily create your own stuff for C&C.

- John Diefenbaker

Is "Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde" the same as "Monsters & Treasure" - I ask since I don't see the latter in the store, but I do see it online elsewhere. The former seemed as though it would be tied to a setting - which doesn't interest me.

Thread Information