FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: Steampunk BRP

Blog Entries

Steampunk BRP

I tried posting this on BRP forum but I haven't got any replies. Is this a good system for Steampunk? And if I buy the ruleset, does it also include monsters? Do I need any other books to start a campaign? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mike
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Have you used BRP before? If not, and you don't have a desire to learn it, then I wouldn't recommend trying.

BRP (Basic Role Playing) is Chaosium's generic RPG system. In it's base form it doesn't have anything directly specific to SteamPunk - but it could do it, but you'd need to work it all out yourself. The FG BRP ruleset is also quite old now - missing a lot of the more up-to-date FG functionality. You can use it, but some people who are used to the new FG functionality might be disappointed.

If you're not truly wanting to playing using the Basic Role Playing system then you're better off looking at a different system. Savage Worlds is a generic system that has great support on Fantasy Grounds and many settings for it.

I'm not aware of any 100% SteamPunk settings for Savage Worlds on Fantasy Grounds - you could use some of Rippers, some of Deadlands, some of other systems.

Maybe post in the Savage Worlds forums to see if people more familiar with Savage Worlds can point you in the right direction.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Savage Mojo has created a steampunk setting called 'Clockworks Dreams'. The settints is part of the continuum described in the 'core' book suzerain. The whole thing uses Savage worlds. All is vailable in the FG store.
    As Trenloe pointed out, you can just have a start with savage worlds if you wish to create your own campaign.

Otherwise, there is also a rules set called 'GURPS' made by the community. And there exist a lot of book for GURPS. Some Steampunk oriented.

For instance :
    Steampunk (https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/steampunk/)

Steamtech (https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/steamtech/)
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

"Clockwork Dreams" for Savage Worlds is available on FG here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...LRSMESWOB001FG
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    "Clockwork Dreams" for Savage Worlds is available on FG here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...LRSMESWOB001FG
    Thanks, Trenloe! I don't mind coming up with my own Steampunk story, I was just wondering about the ruleset itself...sounds like any ruleset could work with Steampunk.
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    ...sounds like any ruleset could work with Steampunk.
    In theory, yes. If you're willing to put in the work. But it's not just story. Some RPGs are better suited to a wide range of settings, where as other can be done but require a lot more work. For example, you can run SteamPunk in D&D 5E (or other d20 based system), but if you don't have the setting rules for it then you're going to have to come up with a bunch of system specific rules and data - like classes, feats/abilities, spells, weapons, etc. which can be a lot of work and hard to balance.

If you want to do the work yourself, go with a RPG system you're familiar with a like. If you're not willing to do all the work, then go with something that already has something very close to what you're looking for.

I would recommend Savage Worlds or Gurps.
    Savage Worlds has a specific third party steampunk setting called The Widening Gyre and an adaptation of one of the first such settings: Space 1889-their version is called Red Sands.
    Gurps has two 4th edition sourcebooks for steampunk: book 1 is setting and style and book 2 is steampunk vehicles-available on e23 or drivethru.There are also several older 3rd edition sourcebooks.
    If you want a construction set then Gurps is probably the way to go
    Borusa32

Thread Information