5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Curaidh View Post
    I'm sorry but this is... not ok. Why does FG need this many connections to the GM from a single player? What if 4-5 players try to connect simultaneously?
    When a player connects the first time (or connects after nuking their cache) their client will download everything that is shared with players. This can be ameliorated some by limiting what you share with players.

Blog Entries
    On the initial connection there can be (depending on what is shared and what was downloaded on the previous session) over 100mb of data being uploaded/downloaded to each client.
    On successive connections only the changed data would be transferred.
    However for StarFinder its Ruleset and DLC is going thru much faster revisions so this large transfer could happen more frequently...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    On the initial connection there can be (depending on what is shared and what was downloaded on the previous session) over 100mb of data being uploaded/downloaded to each client.
    On successive connections only the changed data would be transferred.
    However for StarFinder its Ruleset and DLC is going thru much faster revisions so this large transfer could happen more frequently...
    The amount of data transferred should be completely irrelevant in regards to the number of parallel connections opened. I'm working in an EDI (electronic data interchange) team and one of our largest customers is pushing 4+ Gb of data at once, every 3 weeks. They open exactly one connection for that, not 20+.
    But as LordEntrails said it's being worked on, that is good enough for me. I'll work around the issue for the time being, won't kill me to turn off my security for short intervals whenever someone needs to download files from my FG, it's a minor nuisance that's all - important was finding where the connection drops and your hint with the TCP SYN floods put me in the right direction - so yay for you! \o/

On a side note: I wouldn't have shelled out the money for an ultimate license if I didn't "believe" in the FG product, even with all it's kinks and small issues it is the most advanced VTT available in my opinion. And the community is really helpful on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Curaidh View Post
    The amount of data transferred should be completely irrelevant in regards to the number of parallel connections opened. I'm working in an EDI (electronic data interchange) team and one of our largest customers is pushing 4+ Gb of data at once, every 3 weeks. They open exactly one connection for that, not 20+.
    The model used in this software is closer to that used for HTTP connections rather than what you're working with. One connection for each item to be transferred. So, if you're sharing 20 maps, 10 story entries, and 50 tokens, you'll get 80 connections if the client needs to do a full download.

I am currently having this exact issue as well. The download process gets 2% sometimes it goes to about 20%, then just stops. No activity. I am using Unifi's Securtiy Gatewy. Will have to do some digging to see if there is a way to disable security as mentioned above.

Think the FGU beta is around the corner, so this will be a great test to see if the new program will correct this issue or not.
    Thank you,

- Thomas

Edition: Fantasy Grounds Classic 3.3.11 - Windows 10
    Edition: Fantasy Grounds Ultimate 4.0.0 - Windows 10
    Edition: Fantasy Grounds Ultimate 4.0.0 - Ubuntu 20.04.1
    Discord: TK421 (-6) [FGU Backer]

FGU will not fix this sort of issue; security software will likely always be something that will potentially need to be adjusted to allow update programs to work. The changes in FGU are around game networking and server-assisted port forwarding bypass.

Regards,
    JPG

So if the problem is some routers see TCP Flood (assuming these are SYN floods) Why does the FG client send so many SYN packets?

I have been having this issue for the five weeks or so and there is no configuration option on my router to shut off TCP Flood protection. I do see FG clients when they connect to the table getting blocked, but not much I can do to change the router config if there is no option. (ATT u-verse with 5268AC router). Old Internet search show config screens with TCP Flood controls, but the current release 11.4.1.532484-att does not have this option.

I see all the impacted FG users with errors like this in the router log. IN=br1 MAC=d4:b2:7a:94:e6:b4 SRC=24.22.158.37 DST=192.168.1.77 LEN=52 TTL=113 PROTO=TCP DPT=1802 TCP flood

So I know exactly what the problem is and have no way to fix it for 3 of my 5 players. The others seem to work fine.

-Mark

Turn off flood protection in your router.

Blog Entries
    mclancy10006 try a firmware update or even one or two versions earlier (if available) and see if that option might be available again.

I have public IPs. I assigned my laptop one of my public ip's, connected directly to my modem, turn off windows firewall, turn off Defender, Turn off AV. And still no dice. I cant get any more unprotected than that. I did finally get one connection after about 10-15 tries. No go for second connection. Sadly, I think I lost my friends who I had convinced to use FG. If I have to sit at a table connected to an internal network or wireless to get my users to connect, then I might as well use pen and paper.

Other software applications work with out issue or incident under "typical" protection.
    Thank you,

- Thomas

Edition: Fantasy Grounds Classic 3.3.11 - Windows 10
    Edition: Fantasy Grounds Ultimate 4.0.0 - Windows 10
    Edition: Fantasy Grounds Ultimate 4.0.0 - Ubuntu 20.04.1
    Discord: TK421 (-6) [FGU Backer]

Thread Information