STAR TREK 2d20
Page 24 of 37 First ... 14222324252634 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    DoubleDanGaming you will want to setup DHCP reservations for your computer on your router and your router on your modem.
    Sometimes your router and/or modem needs a reboot too.

My turn to ask for help!

First time using Fantasy Grounds (I come from Roll20 where connection issues didn't happen unless the entire site was down). I have been struggling with getting FG access up and running all morning but keep getting failures on the Connection Test.

I am running Windows 10 and have a Belkin router with uPnP enabled. I added a Virtual Server entry for FG in my Firewall settings according to the instructions at portforward.com, but it still doesn't seem to be working. Anyone help walk me through this? I'd rather not go the Hamachi route (my players aren't keen on installing new software and making new accounts for things ... would prefer having it be an easy process for them).

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums tekmagika

Sorry you're having issues.

Please run the following command from the command prompt and post the results for the first 4 hops: tracert 8.8.8.8
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

1 10 ms 1 ms 2 ms BELKIN [192.168.2.1]
    2 36 ms 28 ms 17 ms 142.254.145.197
    3 19 ms 16 ms 20 ms 24.29.5.145
    4 16 ms 14 ms 15 ms be30.dytnoh5501r.midwest.rr.com [65.29.38.52]

Quote Originally Posted by tekmagika View Post
    1 10 ms 1 ms 2 ms BELKIN [192.168.2.1]
    2 36 ms 28 ms 17 ms 142.254.145.197
    3 19 ms 16 ms 20 ms 24.29.5.145
    4 16 ms 14 ms 15 ms be30.dytnoh5501r.midwest.rr.com [65.29.38.52]
    OK, that's great - looks like you're not using double-NAT/IP sharing.

I assume your GM PC is on an IP address 192.168.2.xxx ?? If so, have you confirmed that IP address and entered that as the target for the virtual server - using TCP port 1802? Maybe provide a screenshot of the virtual server setup.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Screenshot! Attachment 18511
    Looks good. Assuming your GM computer is on 192.168.2.199.

Try rebooting the router, just to see if that is needed to activate the changes.

Otherwise, that looks OK and we need to look at your computer might be blocking the connection.

Check that the network connection on your computer is shown as Home/Private and not Public (Windows Firewall will block Fantasy Grounds on a Public network).

Add an exception to your security applicatio/s to allow FantasyGrounds.exe to communicate on TCP port 1802.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Looks good. Assuming your GM computer is on 192.168.2.199.

Try rebooting the router, just to see if that is needed to activate the changes.

Otherwise, that looks OK and we need to look at your computer might be blocking the connection.

Check that the network connection on your computer is shown as Home/Private and not Public (Windows Firewall will block Fantasy Grounds on a Public network).

Add an exception to your security applicatio/s to allow FantasyGrounds.exe to communicate on TCP port 1802.
    Router has been rebooted several times with no effect on FG access.

Network connection is Private.

All I have running is Windows Defender and SUPERAntiSpyware. Does Windows 10 have any hidden security apps that could be blocking it? Can't find anywhere in either program to set ports. Is that something they do?

All I have running is Windows Defender and SUPERAntiSpyware. Does Windows 10 have any hidden security apps that could be blocking it? Can't find anywhere in either program to set ports. Is that something they do?
    Windows 10 has "Windows Firewall", check to see if that is running and add an exception if it is.

Another thing to try is to load up a second instance of FG and "Join Game" to your GM instance (up and running waiting for players to connect) with a server address of localhost This won't prove much if it is a local security application blocking network access, but if it fails it will indicate other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Windows 10 has "Windows Firewall", check to see if that is running and add an exception if it is.

Another thing to try is to load up a second instance of FG and "Join Game" to your GM instance (up and running waiting for players to connect) with a server address of localhost This won't prove much if it is a local security application blocking network access, but if it fails it will indicate other issues.
    There are two listings for Fantasy Grounds in Windows Firewall (forgot that I had actually checked this earlier as well!). One for the port and one for the app. The port listing only lets me select TCP or UDP, but not both.

Thread Information