5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Subwindows and "back referencing" query

I'm trying to call a function from within 2 subwindows all the way back to the top. I'm having trouble finguring it out tho.

The setup is this.

windowclass(readycheck)
    -subwindow(main)
    --windowclass(ready_check_main)
    ---subwindow(main_user)
    ----windowclass(ready_check_entry_user)

From within ready_check_entry_user I want to have a button_checkbox via onValueChanged() refer back to a function in "readycheck".

I'm having trouble figuring out the "path" BACK to readycheck. window.function refers to the script within the windowclass "ready_check_entry_user" so that's not helpful. Been trying to figure out parentcontrol but that doesn't seem to get things back where I need either.

Anyone have some tips on how to reference backwards?
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Side trip - can you not do this by referencing the DB directly?
    There is no node associated with the subwindow that the button_checkbox resides. It's non-persistent data that I just need to know they clicked at that moment. I'm triggering a oob notify.

I'll attach the xml file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

You're probably going to have to string parentcontrol and subwindow together: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/subwindow.xcp

When I need to work these out I will use lots of Debug.console commands outputting the control name or window instance class name.

So things like: window.getClass() or parentcontrol.getName() and then string them together - window.parentcontrol.getName() etc..

You'll get some nil errors, but it usually helps to go through it a few times to work out the exact hierarchy and how you can string the various API references together.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You're probably going to have to string parentcontrol and subwindow together: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/subwindow.xcp

When I need to work these out I will use lots of Debug.console commands outputting the control name or window instance class name.

So things like: window.getClass() or parentcontrol.getName() and then string them together - window.parentcontrol.getName() etc..

You'll get some nil errors, but it usually helps to go through it a few times to work out the exact hierarchy and how you can string the various API references together.
    That was what I was trying to do and I got to window.parentcontrol.subwindow. After that I couldn't get any further back up. I'll look at the notes you linked and see if I can figure out why.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    That was what I was trying to do and I got to window.parentcontrol.subwindow. After that I couldn't get any further back up. I'll look at the notes you linked and see if I can figure out why.
    Did you try window.parentcontrol.subwindow.window as the next step?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Did you try window.parentcontrol.subwindow.window as the next step?
    Yup, here is the code I ran from the button and the output I got.

Code:
              function onButtonPress()
                local sName = User.getUsername();
                window.notifyReadyCheck(sName,1);
                Debug.console("PC0","window",window);
                Debug.console("PC1","window.getClass()",window.getClass());
                Debug.console("PC2","window.subwindow",window.subwindow);
                Debug.console("PC3","window.parentcontrol",window.parentcontrol);
                Debug.console("PC4","window.parentcontrol.getName()",window.parentcontrol.getName());
                Debug.console("PC6","window.parentcontrol.subwindow",window.parentcontrol.subwindow);
                Debug.console("PC7","window.parentcontrol.subwindow.getClass()",window.parentcontrol.subwindow.getClass());
                Debug.console("PC8","window.parentcontrol.subwindow.window",window.parentcontrol.subwindow.window);
              end
    Code:
    Runtime Notice: s'PC0' | s'window' | windowinstance = { class = ready_check_entry_user, node = nil, x,y,w,h = 371,295,246,45 }
    Runtime Notice: s'PC1' | s'window.getClass()' | s'ready_check_entry_user'
    Runtime Notice: s'PC2' | s'window.subwindow' | nil
    Runtime Notice: s'PC3' | s'window.parentcontrol' | subwindow = { x,y,w,h = 0,15,246,45 }
    Runtime Notice: s'PC4' | s'window.parentcontrol.getName()' | s'main_user'
    Runtime Notice: s'PC6' | s'window.parentcontrol.subwindow' | windowinstance = { class = ready_check_entry_user, node = nil, x,y,w,h = 371,295,246,45 }
    Runtime Notice: s'PC7' | s'window.parentcontrol.subwindow.getClass()' | s'ready_check_entry_user'
    Runtime Notice: s'PC8' | s'window.parentcontrol.subwindow.window' | nil
    Script Error: [string ""]:1: attempt to index field 'window' (a nil value)
    As you can see the "main_user" is right here:

windowclass(readycheck)
    -subwindow(main)
    --windowclass(ready_check_main)
    ---subwindow(main_user)<--------------
    ----windowclass(ready_check_entry_user)
    ---

OK, so window = ready_check_entry_user and window.parentcontrol.subwindow also = ready_check_entry_user.

So you've gone up then back down with subwindow.

How about window.parentcontrol.window?
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 28th, 2018 at 04:11.

The "Scope" section here might also give you some ideas: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...pt_Block_Scope

For this you're probably going to need something like: window.parentcontrol.window.parentcontrol.window
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 28th, 2018 at 04:12.

Celestian, I usually give up and create a temporary node in these cases because I can never walk back up very far. I create the node and then delete it when I'm done. A kluge, but I get brain damage trying to walk up window/subwindow hierarchies like that.

Thread Information