FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Related stuff

Related stuff

Get excited!

You can consider this a preview of a near-future MOD - with a technical question

What you are looking at is a static 'starfield' image with an FG hex overlay. The 4 planets shown are tokens. I have like 20 or so planets that I made from NASA imagery, elbow-grease, and fairy-wings along with 5 starfields made manually.

You are looking at a _really_ flexible system for laying out space encounters with planetary bodies. I need to cook up some comets, debris, asteroids, and other stellar accoutrements.

Anyhow, the techie end of things is simple enough... These 'tokens' are 700k+ in size with 800x800 pixel dimensions. I've left them large since someone might want a planet to occupy a big piece of a map. The question is, beyond load times, is there a downside to doing this? I don't want to be the guy that blew-up FG.

Maybe I need to have small/med/large sizes? I dunno, just trying to get a handle on where to take it. The thought of every added planetary body adding a 700kb uncacheable download wears at me a bit, especially since many might only need to be small in size.

I also seem to remember some important technical detail about tokens in a module vs tokens in the folders - maybe all tokens get cached?

Blog Entries
    Hi Top

Check your RAM usage before and after loading up one of these images.
    And also do the same from a player instance on another computer - you might need to get one of your players to assist.
    If the RAM usage is not too large you should be ok.

It wasn't as bad as I had worried. Opening an image is 40mb of memory, then 2-4mb per planet.

I will probably make them in 3 sizes (200x200, 400x400, and 800x800) just to have the fine control.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    It wasn't as bad as I had worried. Opening an image is 40mb of memory, then 2-4mb per planet.

I will probably make them in 3 sizes (200x200, 400x400, and 800x800) just to have the fine control.

You can resize the tokens in game. Id pick one size and just use that and size them down (and even up) - it will reduce the overall memory usage.

I want to reduce the transfer size to the client computers - hence the plan for several sizes.

Blog Entries
    Memory is a bigger issue than file transfer. Token remain in memory whether they're being used or not. To avoid interacting with them by accident, a GM would probably be using the Layers Extension, which increases memory. FG has been known to increase memory usage on the players side roughly 400% of what the GMs machine is using if content (hi tokens!) is being shared. Which is why 99% of all the "why are my players crashing?" threads on the forums end up being us telling people to stop sharing so much.

TL;DR listen to @damned

Alright, Talyn, I shall listen 400x400 seems to be a fairly effective size:

It looks good and the images are only 220k in size. I will standardize on those dimensions unless someone brings up a good reason to do something different.

I guess that I need to have a look at the extension you mentioned.

BTW, I own a couple of token modules that have small/med/large token sets. But I am not surprised to learn it was a bad idea.

I should also say thanks for the advice, you two! I do appreciate it!

Blog Entries
    Token modules are a fantastic idea. Provided you're not then sharing the token module. Putting tokens in the /shared/ folder is a horrible idea.

Great job I like it

Also you can use this tool for planet, this is on I use

https://planetmaker.wthr.us/

This is the kind of planet you can create with a few clicks

planet.png
    Last edited by Dyark; February 14th, 2018 at 11:34.
    DMed in this :
    Pathfinder,Forgotten realms, Dark sun, Birthright, Ravenloft, Mystara, Own creation
    2e, 3.5 & 5

Thread Information