DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    The main issue i currently have with Discord is the lack of HQ Codecs like Opus, which makes music/syrinscape sounds crappy in comparison to teamspeak

Teamspeak has more complex and controllable settings, better voice quality, less latency and can be easily customised to have strong sound boards and dipping features built in. This helps with the distracting oneliner players and means that resulting laughs don't have me having to repeat myself as a DM.

I have extensively used both, nearly two years of DMing on discord... but discords only benefits are for those with weaker upload speeds and its inherrent simplicity.
    Last edited by lostsanityreturned; February 26th, 2018 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by tiawaz View Post
    The main issue i currently have with Discord is the lack of HQ Codecs like Opus, which makes music/syrinscape sounds crappy in comparison to teamspeak
    Not correct. Discord is using Opus and the audio quality can go up to 96 kbps, I usually stream music at 64 kbps (because of bandwidth) and it's nearly indistinguishable from the original audio, at least at the volume I'm streaming it.
    License: Ultimate
    Timezone: CET

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    I have seen little sign that the very large MMOs have moved to Discord for mission critical things.
    Really? Almost every single large guild (and small) on the WoW server I play have their own official discord servers and are required to use for raids.

Don't get me wrong, TS has much better sound quality (when your admin configures it to use them) and makes for a better ambient sound tool but discord is just far more convenient, easy and "free" ... the text channels are really useful and pretty much removes the need for guilds/groups to have forums.

If only discord would let me use a better codec I'd have no complaints about it. The sound quality for ambient music is just terrible (see the discord/ambient thread for full details).

Quote Originally Posted by tiawaz View Post

It does use opus for voice but the quality as you say is terrible. Apparently there are "special" servers that get access to other codecs that might resolve these quality issues but it seems to be limited to "Affiliates".
    Last edited by celestian; February 26th, 2018 at 18:55.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Switching to Discord due to technical issues with Teamspeak and an iPad Air with one player. Thanks to Rob2e's for his videos on Music/Syrinscape and Discord. Guess I'll have to see for myself about the quality. Sure the players will let me know if the sounds is terrible.

T’other thing I really value in Discord vs TS is the ability to screenshot(FG parse errors, character sheets, gaming book rules, etc.) and share amongst the group/PMs with CTRL+V.
    Might be a permissions thing in TS but I don’t think so, so there is that...

Discord is so "messy" looking ... so much going on.
    I like Teamspeak, always have. Well, ever since switching off the Microsoft hardware solution (forgot it's name) that we first used in Everquest. Since they from MMOs to Battlefield tourneys, it has been TS.

Of course, all that just translates to "blah blah git off my lawn blah blah" cos I have trouble with transitions it seems.

I know this is completely off topic...but can someone who prefers Teamspeak PM me with reasons why? I have had a much better experience personally with Discord...but I'm new to the whole thing so want to get as much data as possible.

[MODERATOR: Moved this post to a more appropriate thread]
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 3rd, 2018 at 23:37.

Plus it's much easier to set sounds up on TS than Discord.
    Ultimate License

Yes, for me TS is easier. You can have 2 sessions, one for you and one for a musical bot at the same time. And I find it easier to install the musical BOT for music, specific sounds...
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

Thread Information