Starfinder Playlist
Page 4 of 10 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Test channel
    DORCore 0.9.1
    No extensions

Dropping dice (as GM) onto Tower:
    Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:536: attempt to index local 'rRoll' (a nil value)

Dave
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    At the moment you might have the DCC ruleset which includes code like this:
    <importinfo>
    <acceptfrom ruleset="CoreRPG" />
    </importinfo>

So it first loads up CoreRPG and then it loads up DCC which overwrites some CoreRPG code and then adds a stack of new code.

Instead of supporting DOE on top of DCC it will be supported under DCC... eg CoreRPG would load then DORCore would load and then DCC would load. Each one adding additional functionality.

This way the Man in Black would keep the DOEs working in DORCore and you would build on top of that.

I havent done any testing yet but most of what DORCore adds (Im about to be corrected) is:

The DOEs
    The Universal Dice Roller
    Some Right Hand Token Styles.

So it shouldnt break too many things...

The developer would change the code above to:

<importinfo>
    <acceptfrom ruleset="DORCore" />
    </importinfo>
    The theory is right, but the tags are wrong. <importinfo> is used for determining which modules a ruleset can load, it does not determine the ruleset layering.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/importinfo.xcp

You save yourself a little, as in 2 posts down you get it right: <importruleset source="CoreRPG" />

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/importruleset.xcp
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The theory is right, but the tags are wrong. <importinfo> is used for determining which modules a ruleset can load, it does not determine the ruleset layering.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/importinfo.xcp

You save yourself a little, as in 2 posts down you get it right: <importruleset source="CoreRPG" />

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/importruleset.xcp
    In my defense...
    nah - I have no defense... just tired - I have edited my original post in case that is read and this correction is not!

I liked the initiative to turn all your stuff into a ruleset, but the question is, can it be used in other rulesets?
    Can you make the price column adjust to be all on one line?
    And finally because some weights stay with many houses, would not it be possible to define in say 3 houses after the comma?

Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    I liked the initiative to turn all your stuff into a ruleset, but the question is, can it be used in other rulesets?
    Can you make the price column adjust to be all on one line?
    And finally because some weights stay with many houses, would not it be possible to define in say 3 houses after the comma?
    Please don't double-post - these questions (apart from the first one) are DOE-specific and should be asked in the relevant DOE-Thread - which you did (and which I answered there).

To answer the first question (again ) - yes, provided the Ruleset Developer makes their Ruleset a child of the DORCore.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    To answer the first question (again ) - yes, provided the Ruleset Developer makes their Ruleset a child of the DORCore.
    Hi, dulux-oz, I have a lot of info populated in a 5e campaign and a GURPS campaign, predominantly using the Location and Weather extensions from DOE if I remember right. Can I simply uncheck all the DOE extensions, load the 5e or GURPS campaigns up, and DORCore is included with the info input into that campaign? Or do I have to make a module or some such out of these campaigns, start new ones using DORCore as the ruleset and import the specific module?

Sorry, I tried understanding previous post.

Edit:. OK, reread and I guess I keep going with the DOE extensions with the 5e campaign (though I won't have access to the "upgrades" like the universal die roller). With the GURPS ruleset, ronnke would need to make GURPS a child of DORCore instead of CoreRPG. If he did, would the info I have populated in current DOE GURPS transfer/still be there for use, or would it all need to be redone?

Thank you dulux-oz.
    Last edited by paladiusdarkhelm; February 13th, 2018 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by paladiusdarkhelm View Post
    Hi, dulux-ox. I have a lot of info populated in a 5e campaign and a GURPS campaign, predominantly using the Location and Weather extensions from DOE if I remember right. Can I simply uncheck all the DOE extensions, load the 5e or GURPS campaigns up, and DORCore is included with the info input into that campaign? Or do I have to make a module or some such out of these campaigns, start new ones using DORCore as the ruleset and import the specific module?

Sorry, I tried understanding
    You won't have to do anything with the 5E Campaign - use it exactly the same as before, with the DOEs (& NOT the DORCore), because the DOEs will still support the 5E Ruleset now and into the future - so no issue there. You can, of course, make up a module with the Location and Weather info (and any other info you like) to transfer that data from your existing 5E campaign to a new 5E campaign (now or in the future).

The GURPS campaign is similar - for the time being, you can use the GURPS Ruleset with the DOEs and everything will work as it did before. Again, if you want, you can make up a Module with the Location info, etc, to transfer it to another GURPS campaign.

However, at some stage in the future (around the middle of 2018) there will be released a version of the DOEs that will no-longer work with the GURPS Ruleset. When this happens all of the DOE-info will simply become unavailable in your GURPs Campaign (and any new GURPS campaigns will also NOT have access to the DOEs) but other than that your GURPS campaign will work AOK without any other changes.

If the GURPs-Community would like to continue to use the functionality provided by the DOEs after the DOEs are no-longer supported for the GURPs Ruleset, then the GURPs-Community should encourage the GURPs Ruleset Developer to port the GURPs Ruleset to use the DORCore Ruleset - I am happy to guide the GURPs Ruleset Developer in making this change. Obviously, the GURPS Ruleset Developer has until the middle of 2018 (or so) to do this. If this is done then any existing GURPs campaigns which have Location, Weather, etc, info in them will work exactly the same as now (as will any new GURPs campaigns).

Please note that, unless a Ruleset Developer specifically makes their Ruleset dependent upon the DORCore, the DORCore has no relationship to any existing Ruleset - except for the CoreRPG Ruleset, which the DORCore is dependent upon. This is like how the 3.5E Ruleset has no relation to the SavageWorlds Ruleset, except that both are dependent upon the CoreRPG Ruleset. You can think about this as if the CoreRPG Ruleset was the parent of both the 3.5E Ruleset and the SavageWorlds Ruleset, and the 3.5E Ruleset and the SavageWorld Ruleset are children of the CoreRPG Ruleset and "siblings" to each other. The new DORCore Ruleset is also a child of the CoreRPG parent and a sibling to both the 3.5E and Savage Worlds Rulesets. After the middle of 2018 the GURPs Ruleset should become a child of the DORCore Ruleset (if the GURPs Ruleset Developer wants this to happen).

Does that make sense? Do you (or anyone else) require further clarification - or have I made things a clear as mud?
    Last edited by dulux-oz; February 13th, 2018 at 14:43.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Got it; thank you for that! In summary, GURPS DOE-related info will work with DORCore without any GM adjustments if ronnke can make GURPS ruleset depend on DORCore. I'll start a thread over there and link to there for his awareness. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by paladiusdarkhelm View Post
    Got it; thank you for that! In summary, GURPS DOE-related info will work with DORCore without any GM adjustments if ronnke can make GURPS ruleset depend on DORCore. I'll start a thread over there and link to there for his awareness. Thanks again!
    Actually, he should already be aware - but it was a little while ago when I mentioned things to him, so it wouldn't surprise me if its slipped his mind: I know how hard he works

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

dulux-oz, from the developer point of view, in the current state of DORCore its very hard to see the big picture of layered ruleset because DORCore uses different file structure and naming conventions compared to CoreRPG. If possible, I would recommend setting up the CoreRPG overriding parts to structured and named the same way as CoreRPG.

For instance I use mass file differs such as kdiff3 to observe changes between different sources but without using the same approach you have little chance to see actual changes.

Also the ruleset overrides several ActionsManager functions (probably due to universal roller) which raises alarm bells on my end. What I learned while developing Savage Worlds ruleset to be CoreRPGed is that you don't want to do this. Would there be other way in which you could provide the feature you want to? In Savage Worlds case I avoid overriding CoreRPG as much as possible but something like Savage Worlds dice roll mechanics cannot be coped with CoreRPGs ActionsManager. The solution was to provided alternate for it that "runs" parallel to CoreRPG approach, ie. if you develop on top of Savage Worlds you can decide which mechanism you want to use.

With these changes it would easier to adapt to your ruleset!
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thread Information