Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last
  1. #11
    dulux-oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,034
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    So let me see if I understand this, which I'm tired so that's no guarantee.

    You will soon stop supporting a group of extensions that GMs could get and use for their campaigns, and then only support a ruleset that GMs have to find a developer to implement in an extension for the specific ruleset they wish to use your DOE features in? Doesn't this drastically limit who can use the DOE features in their campaigns? I mean, currently the only thing a GM needs is a handful of modules. Are you going to provide a version of each default ruleset merged with this?
    No, it means that I'll soon stop supporting (for FREE) a group of (FREE) Extensions for those Community Rulesets that are not available via the FG Updater, which means that if a Dev of a Community Ruleset wants the users of their Ruleset to have access to the functionality of the DOEs they can base their Community Ruleset off of this Ruleset instead of "everyone" asking me to do all the work and make the DOEs work with their creation, and then me having to do all the support when something changes. It's shifting some of the the work from my single shoulders to the shared, collective shoulders of the Community Devs who would like the users of their Ruleset to have access to this functionality (and more).

    As I said, the "'Standard' FG Rulesets (ie those available via the FG Updater) will not be affected." This means CoreRPG, 3E, 4E, 5E, 13th Age, CoC, CoC7, CnC, SW, Fate, d20 Modern, & PF (I think that's all of them).

    Of course, some people may not think this is fair, in which case I just might throw a wobbly and withdraw all the DOEs, this Ruleset and everything else I've ever done for this Community FOR FREE (while still retaining my copyright to ALL of it), because the level of "entitlement" that has been growing over the last couple of months around here is starting to get on my nerves! (Yes, I'll take my bat and ball and go home!)

    On the other hand, it's late and I'm tired (not to mention somewhat ill) so I might just be a little bit more tetchy than normal - I think it might be time for bed.
    Last edited by dulux-oz; February 3rd, 2018 at 01:59.
    Dulux-Oz

    √(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!


    Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

    Read my FG Blog here.

    Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

    Support Ongoing Video, Ruleset & Extension Development: via PayPal (Send To: [email protected])

    YouTube Channel/Tutorial Playlists: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

  2. #12
    Dulux-Oz,

    Well said, operative word 'entitlement'.


    Dave
    Ultimate License Holder - Anyone can play in my games, even using the free version of Fantasy Grounds.


  3. #13
    Another thing I just found...

    If you're in the Library (with Professor Plum?), and you select ALL, things are grand.

    However, if you select 'GM', then you lose the 'Vehicles' ribbon icon.


    Dave
    Last edited by dberkompas; February 2nd, 2018 at 18:12. Reason: Didn't like that I used Mrs. Pea****.
    Ultimate License Holder - Anyone can play in my games, even using the free version of Fantasy Grounds.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    3,062
    Hang in there Dulux! We value what you do and appreciate it.

  5. #15
    damned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,043
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dberkompas View Post
    Another thing I just found...

    If you're in the Library (with Professor Plum?), and you select ALL, things are grand.

    However, if you select 'GM', then you lose the 'Vehicles' ribbon icon.


    Dave
    You can select GM and then tick and untick any additional icons for your specific needs.

    MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

  6. #16
    Werd Up.
    Ultimate License Holder - Anyone can play in my games, even using the free version of Fantasy Grounds.


  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by dberkompas View Post
    @Nick,

    Your more appropriate response would be, "WOW! Thanks, this is amazing."


    Dave
    A change that drastically reduces the number of people that can benefit from something is not what I would call amazing. And I'd never compliment a change before I understood what was being changed. So, no, it wouldn't.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    No, it means that I'll soon stop supporting (for FREE) a group of (FREE) Extensions for those Community Rulesets that are not available via the FG Updater, which means that if a Dev of a Community Ruleset wants the users of their Ruleset to have access to the functionality of the DOEs they can base their Community Ruleset off of this Ruleset instead of "everyone" asking me to do all the work and make the DOEs work with their creation, and then me having to do all the support when something changes. It's shifting some of the the work from my single shoulders to the shared, collective shoulders of the Community Devs who would like the users of their Ruleset to have access to this functionality (and more).
    This makes sense. I didn't know so many people were asking you to modify your content for compatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    As I said, the "'Standard' FG Rulesets (ie those available via the FG Updater) will not be affected." This means CoreRPG, 3E, 4E, 5E, 13th Age, CoC, CoC7, CnC, SW, Fate, d20 Modern, & PF (I think that's all of them).
    When you say 'will not be affected', do you mean that the DOE's will still work on them and be updated, or that the ruleset will be unable to used with them leaving anyone using these ruleset out of luck if they wish to continue using DOE features?
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

  9. #19
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    GMT -7
    Posts
    8,430
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    ...
    When you say 'will not be affected', do you mean that the DOE's will still work on them and be updated, or that the ruleset will be unable to used with them leaving anyone using these ruleset out of luck if they wish to continue using DOE features?
    Per;
    As I said, the "'Standard' FG Rulesets (ie those available via the FG Updater) will not be affected." This means CoreRPG, 3E, 4E, 5E, 13th Age, CoC, CoC7, CnC, SW, Fate, d20 Modern, & PF (I think that's all of them).
    Means, to me, that Dulux will continue to support the DOEs for these "standard" rulesets. But, rather than him having to support every other ruleset in his extensions, he's created a ruleset that others can port to be dependent to DORCore so that he (Dulux) doesn't have to support his extension with each ruleset, but rather each community ruleset can "support themselves" per se.

    Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    3,062
    Stroke of genius

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in