5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I just threw up a little in my mouth.

The FG application is compiled as large address aware, which means it can access up to 4GB as long as the OS supports. Due to the way short/long term memory management works, this usually means a cap of long-term memory around 3.2-3.4GB. This is where those numbers come from.

Regards,
    JPG

So a couple questions.

1. What Language is FG written in?
    2. How difficult would it be to recompile 64bit? (Global replaces on variable types being such a safe thing to do and all...)
    Just thinking that perhaps an effort to 64bit-iffy as an interim to the Unity replacement might resolve a lot of issues for a lot of folks and therefore be worth it.

It relies on a lot of legacy code and libraries that are 32-bit only, so I don't think it's possible.

Wait for the Unity version (I know that's easier said than done) - no need to divert development resource to a short term effort, even if it was possible.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Additionally the way the current engines memory usage on images is just inefficient. Adding 64bit and allowing people to use 4/6/8+GB of ram will create just as many issues as players would also need similar amounts of memory and not all will have. The Unity rewrite is a complete new engine and has much better graphic support an *should* be a whole lot better at putting all the current content into a much smaller footprint... of course I could be dreaming... time will tell.

Well, I asked because I'm in software myself (not games). It'd be nice if FG was a little more open vest on where exactly they are on the Unity work... As it is now as far as I know it could be years until we see it... I mean equally it could be released tomorrow, but I wouldn't know. (And yes, I get the not promising dates thing) It would be nice to see maybe a checklist of major sub-systems and a progress indicator or something... so we can cheer it on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix View Post
    Well, I asked because I'm in software myself (not games). It'd be nice if FG was a little more open vest on where exactly they are on the Unity work... As it is now as far as I know it could be years until we see it... I mean equally it could be released tomorrow, but I wouldn't know. (And yes, I get the not promising dates thing) It would be nice to see maybe a checklist of major sub-systems and a progress indicator or something... so we can cheer it on.
    Many people have asked and expressed similar views and many more will yet.
    The project has taken them much longer than they believed it would and still has a way to go hence they dont want to post misinformation.
    I believe there is a soft target of completing this year but that is inferred from one of Doug's posts.

Besides, they kept getting distracted with releasing new Rulesets (5E at the time) and various other things that we (the FG Community) end up wanting and/or enjoying immensely
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    If you check out the FG Friday from yesterday (on Twitch, probably on YouTube also) Doug talks for a couple of minutes at the very end about Unity. In short, if I remember correctly, he basically said they just finished the networking portion that they built from the ground up.

Otherwise you can read the thread on FG Unity to see recent info.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I gotta say, despite my frustration with some FG stuff, the community is exceedingly helpful. Thanks again, guys!

Thread Information