DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Thread: Memory usage

Quote Originally Posted by Patou View Post
    I've tried a ton of stuff and I think there is no way around.
    The main "way around" the image resolution restriction is to make a low detail map of the whole area (within the usual resolution limits) and then have links to more detailed maps for the sections you may have encounters or want to "zoom in" on the detail. You can share individual links on the map with the players too - so they can access more details of areas they've already been to.

Yes, this is more work to setup, and might get a little confusing (remember to close maps when you're not using them). But it is the best way to use a large, detailed map within the current FG architecture.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The main "way around" the image resolution restriction is to make a low detail map of the whole area (within the usual resolution limits) and then have links to more detailed maps for the sections you may have encounters or want to "zoom in" on the detail. You can share individual links on the map with the players too - so they can access more details of areas they've already been to.

Yes, this is more work to setup, and might get a little confusing (remember to close maps when you're not using them). But it is the best way to use a large, detailed map within the current FG architecture.
    It's a great idea and I can see how it can get confusing. Especially with my players
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

my system has 64GB ram . i found a awy to increase ram allowance for java,
    "run the jar from command line specifying how much RAM to use: "java -Xmx2048m -jar WGenerator.jar" where 2048m is how much RAM to use." and am able to increase the ram java -Xmx16048m -jar WGenerator.jar to 16GB by just editing the command

is there not away to use a command extention to the FG.exe command FG.exe -Xmx16048m ? i just bought FG 2 weeks ago and added most 5e 600$ and i'm loving it. youtubeing a ton to learn it. but i have large vision, and would like to add more, and larger maps ect.

the limit of 3GB is really small.

any ideas on how to increase the allowance to the Ram to help prevent the crashes, since i'm not even sharing the content yet.

i guess even better any eta and this software going 64bit?
    Last edited by validate; July 10th, 2018 at 03:23.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by validate View Post
    "run the jar from command line specifying how much RAM to use: "java -Xmx2048m -jar WGenerator.jar" where 2048m is how much RAM to use." and am able to increase the ram java -Xmx16048m -jar WGenerator.jar to 16GB by just editing the command

is there not away to use a command extention to the FG.exe command FG.exe -Xmx16048m ? i just bought FG 2 weeks ago and added most 5e 600$ and i'm loving it. youtubeing a ton to learn it. but i have large vision, and would like to add more, and larger maps ect.

any ideas on how to increase the allowance to the Ram to help prevent the crashes, since i'm not even sharing the content yet.
    welcome validate

there is no way to access more than about 3.3/3.4GB ram.
    dont open all the books - you cant use them all at once.
    some books you might open just at character creation.
    if playing a published adventure you dont need any of the MM sources open etc.

Blog Entries

FYI, those java commands only work setting memory limits that high when you are running the 64-bit java executable.

You can Google something like 32-bit process memory limit if you wish to understand more.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

And Fantasy Grounds is not written in Java.

Fantasy Grounds is a 32-bit windows executable. So the limits mentioned and linked above are what you're stuck with.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

i was able to get it to max out 3.8GB loading almost all the maps i have and about 50 tokens, before it started saying memory error, closing some maps wold allow me to open more, game didnt crash at least. so i guess just keeping a limit on how much is open, and maybe using 3rd party program and the web, while using FG would help too. , ty for the responses . learning 5e as a 2nd edition player is fun, cant wait to start playing and learning to dm too

lol just saw a vid on 64bit is coming to FG so good news ;-)
    Last edited by validate; July 10th, 2018 at 04:09.

Super excited. found the 64bit version to test, loaded all the maps i have stable at 6GB ram, going to try to add large maps from the net and see how close to 64GB i can get lol

hope release from test is soon ish, i think i read end of summer. glad i bought all this on sale lol

Blog Entries
    Super excited. found the 64bit version to test, loaded all the maps i have stable at 6GB ram, going to try to add large maps from the net and see how close to 64GB i can get lol

hope release from test is soon ish, i think i read end of summer. glad i bought all this on sale lol
    What happens if your player(s) can only access 3GB?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    What happens if your player(s) can only access 3GB?
    Or 1.5GB if they are on 32-bit Windows?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information