5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Upstate NY (and not Westchester, I mean dead in the middle)
    FYI: Still no response from DMs Guild regarding a good way to do what we're talking about here. They probably don't have any kind of protocol for this, so I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    The only links allowed in a DMsG description are links that point to DMsG pages.
    * this is how I understand it as well. I may even be pushing it by telling them to visit the FG Forum (no explicit link is provided, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yea, DMsG authors are not considered publishers so we don't have those options or access to purchaser details at all.
    * that would have been wonderful information to have, but it's not available to us lowly publishers.
    Last edited by ll00ll00ll00ll; January 15th, 2018 at 23:05. Reason: typo's galore!

Quote Originally Posted by ll00ll00ll00ll View Post
    I don't want anyone who has gotten them from there to be left totally high and dry. My initial posts to DM's Guild was part of the experiment, I never considered that these might become somewhat popular and didn't think of this eventuality...
    I have bought the FG Gap some time ago, and honestly it's my favourite theme - sleek, not obtrusive, yet clear and stylish. I really hope someone will pick it up and updates it as extensions come out, cause the default 5e feels very bulky, and the dragons hanging around the windows in the wizards theme just got in the way all the time. (Not to mention, the colour scheme is so far the best of what I've seen...) And personally I don't feel "cheated out" now that it goes open source, I'm glad to have paid for it.

Thanks dude!
    Natural 20 - that's how I roll.

Good news everyone. ll00ll00ll00ll gave us permission to update and include the GAP/PRO themes with the standard FG install. They are now included in the v3.3.4 beta test in the Test mode update channel. They are now called Simple Brown and Simple Gray, respectively.

Summary

• Updated to work with v3.3.4
    • Included with standard FG install
    • Added support for the following rulesets: CoreRPG, 3.5E, 4E, 5E, PFRPG, Castles and Crusades, CallOfCthulhu, CallOfCthulhu7E, Fate Core, d20 Modern

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Kudos to both ll00ll00ll00ll and SmiteWorks for doing this. More themes available in the base package is great for allowing for more configurable experiences.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Very nice, congrats!

Awesome, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Good news everyone. ll00ll00ll00ll gave us permission to update and include the GAP/PRO themes with the standard FG install. They are now included in the v3.3.4 beta test in the Test mode update channel. They are now called Simple Brown and Simple Gray, respectively.

Summary

• Updated to work with v3.3.4
    • Included with standard FG install
    • Added support for the following rulesets: CoreRPG, 3.5E, 4E, 5E, PFRPG, Castles and Crusades, CallOfCthulhu, CallOfCthulhu7E, Fate Core, d20 Modern

Cheers,
    JPG
    I'm really happy this worked out the way it did. I bought Fantasy Grounds and joined the forum with literally zero knowledge of how to do anything like these themes. I had some graphics capabilites, but literally 100% of the coding and troubleshooting for these would not have been possible without the wonderful people on this forum. I've said it many times elsewhere, but I don't think it can be overstated. The community on this forum is a true gem, it's the REAL value that comes along with Fantasy Grounds. There's not one other place on the internet that I can think of that is anything like this place.

I'm thankful for all of the support and good will shown to me. At some point in the future I hope to have the time to contribute more here... Thanks EVERYONE!

Now that there's three official themes for 5E (hip-hip-thankyouverymuch!), is it possible to make them exclusively loaded extensions? As far as I know, only one loaded theme can be active, and you can only switch by reloading FG, so it would make sense not to let people select more than one on the launcher, the same way as you can only select one of the Language Fonts? (I do remember my initial confusion over how to load themes and then how to switch between, just because I could load any number of them).

Quote Originally Posted by edem View Post
    Now that there's three official themes for 5E (hip-hip-thankyouverymuch!), is it possible to make them exclusively loaded extensions? As far as I know, only one loaded theme can be active, and you can only switch by reloading FG, so it would make sense not to let people select more than one on the launcher, the same way as you can only select one of the Language Fonts? (I do remember my initial confusion over how to load themes and then how to switch between, just because I could load any number of them).
    That seems like something that would be hard to do. Since all extensions are basically the same, and I don't believe the Fantasy Grounds base program would know or care that two themes were loaded. A theme .ext is the same as the window saver .ext. There's really no difference as far as FG is concerned. In fact, I have another extension called 5E Theme - Disable Dragon Heads, which only works if the 5E Theme - Wizards is enabled. It's meant to be a modification to that theme. Also there are others that modify font size, etc.

I do agree though, I see this getting confusing. I've wrestled with possibly making one last mod to my DMs guild extensions, and putting something in each of them to say "PLEASE STOP USING THIS THEME / USE SIMPLE-BROWN INSTEAD" or something along those lines. I'm not sure about that though, or how to actually achieve it. I love what FG has done by making them part of the core program, but I see that in the short term it's going to lead to some confusion, at least for the 5E ruleset. One thing that may help would be to have the new themes sort higher in the list of extensions. For instance the GAP theme is called "5E Theme - fg GAP", which was intentional, to make it sort in the list with the "5E Theme - Wizards"... this way it was a little more obvious what you had enabled. This is ultimately up to Fantasy Grounds at this point though.

One thing I thought of a while ago would be an extension classification system, and a more elaborate Load screen, which would have extensions categorized by type and ruleset (5E / Themes) (4E / Desktop Decals) (5E / DOE Extensions) (3.5E / Languages), etc. As I started following out that logic it gets elaborate pretty quick, and it would require implementation by Fantasy Grounds, it couldn't be implemented by the forum. Also, along those lines it starts to create something like a Fantasy Grounds App Store. Then you'd need a whole other way of "submitting" extensions. This would get very complicated with things like DMs Guild, and would possibly start to ruin the wild west/mad scientist spirit that exists on this forum.

The hard part now is going to be getting people to remove the GAP & PRO .ext's, and switch over to the Simple Brown / Gray themes respectively. I'm not sure what mechanism would be best to reach all of the users. Unfortunately it seems that the new 3.3.4 release will have to push out, then everyone will start getting errors and come looking for support, then see the change that's been made. Most of the people who follow this on the forums will already know, it's the ones that are not active here that will "suffer" the confusion. My guess is that all will be well in a month or so.

If there are any changes I can make to my posts here on the forum or on DMs Guild, I'm happy to do it, I just don't know what is possible or even allowable (specifically at DMs Guild)

Quote Originally Posted by ll00ll00ll00ll View Post
    That seems like something that would be hard to do. Since all extensions are basically the same, and I don't believe the Fantasy Grounds base program would know or care that two themes were loaded.
    But it is, in fact, already working for the aforementioned two extensions. Would a simple field for the three core themes only (Wizards, Grey, Brown) be that much of a difference? I mean I get your point of having an elaborate system being an overload, but as far as I know, the other modules are not mutually exclusive - you can load and access all the desktop decal extensions -, so no need for the whole classification. I would probably have one internal field, which stores what mutex type the module is - which right now could either be language font, or theme -, and from each set category you can only load one.

But alas, I don't know how elaborate / complicated can and should the loader be, so it might need way more than just a field in the extension's xml file.

Thread Information