5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Cloud based storage is not an option. This is not an FG issue per se. Any database application that keeps only a portion of its data in memory can experience challenges with cloud-based storage. The issue is that most cloud servers use client-side buffers in an effort to improve responsiveness. So does the engine underlying FG. These are not synchronized, and it is only a matter of time until your database gets corrupted when a cache is out of date relative to the in-memory contents.

A network drive will work (now if there are encryption issues unique to a machine - I don't believe that is the case; otherwise you couldn't move your campaign from one computer to another like we can do)

Blog Entries
    Your campaign data is all in the /campaigns folder.
    The other folders in your FGData folder contain things like:
    rulesets
    extensions
    modules
    tokens
    etc

The only thing you need to copy across between machines is your campaign data - in fact only the campaign that you are working on.

There are thousands of applications that do not recommend that you store data in a sync drive. This is one. It is because its possible for the sync drive and the app to try and write changes at the same time (or at a time relative to each other) that causes issues.

The campaign file will be measured in a manageable amount of MB (a new campaign is less than 1mb) and there are lots of ways to batch backup/restore or script t or use a utility.

The data encryption is on newer store purchases - all 5e material (all .mod files) and most newer store material across all systems *.mod files and some .ext and some .pak files). It is required as unfortunately people try to redistribute content.

If you want to persist in using OneDrive just do the /campaign directory and subdirectories.

To be clear - it is possible to share FG campaign directories across different machines - you just have to be very careful to not use different installations of Fantasy Grounds that point to those directories at the same time.

you can use Windows symbolic links to point to your campaign directory (and perhaps some of the other FG data directories other than vault). You'll need to map a network drive to where you have the data stored, then use a directory symbolic link for the campaigns directory to the network drive campaigns directory. Info on Windows symbolic links here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1622...dows-or-linux/ Use the /D option.

This is what I've just used for a test: mklink /D "D:\Data\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns" "N:\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns"

Drive N is a mapped network drive to my NAS, D:\Data\Fantasy Grounds is where my local FG installation's app data directory is pointed to.
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 4th, 2018 at 22:29.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    you can use Windows symbolic links to point to your campaign directory (and perhaps some of the other FG data directories other than vault). You'll need to map a network drive to where you have the data stored, then use a directory symbolic link for the campaigns directory to the network drive campaigns directory. Info on Windows symbolic links here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1622...dows-or-linux/ Use the /D option.

This is what I've just used for a test: mklink /D "D:\Data\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns" "N:\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns"

Drive N is a mapped network drive to my NAS, D:\Data\Fantasy Grounds is where my local FG installation's app data directory is pointed to.
    Nice. I'll give this a try.

I'd still prefer an option to do this natively in the app. I've put that up as a suggestion on the link you mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The data encryption is on newer store purchases - all 5e material (all .mod files) and most newer store material across all systems *.mod files and some .ext and some .pak files). It is required as unfortunately people try to redistribute content.
    Which could be done on an account basis. Not sure why they decided to do it on a machine basis. It shouldn't matter though if I can get this symbolic link thing working though.

I use a free manual sync app called FreeFileSync to do what you're doing (having one set of data across multiple machines) and periodically run the app via a "cron" job (once a day automatically, and more often manually if/when required.

You might like to see if this solution works for you as well

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Thanks dulux-oz. I've been working with my setup now and I seem to have found a happy middle-ground. I'm using my VM for editing the campaign (which I keep that running pretty much all the time except when I'm running the game). I use my main PC (which just has the demo installed) for testing. Then I use the laptop for running the game. I have the data files on a internet enabled NAS so if I forget to upload before leaving the house, I can always just copy the data when I get there.

I'm getting more used to the authoring tool now. Being still on annual leave, I spent most of yesterday scanning in the old "U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh", converting it to text and entering it into my campaign. It took a good 6 hours to get it done, but it's all working. Copied across to my laptop. All ready to go. (I still have to figure out masking on the maps, but I'm sure there must be a youtube on how to do it).

Unfortunately, some of the players refuse to run with the campaign as a full-on FG one, so it's going to be a hybrid tabletop, with FG as a DM's aid. (Something about not trusting computer dice?? .... yeah.)
    Last edited by Tovrin; January 5th, 2018 at 21:22.

Blog Entries
    You can use manual dice with FG. It's an option for each player. So they can use everything else, including targeting and automation, they just have to enter their die rolls.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Hey Tovrin

If you plan on running the adventure multiple times you will get more mileage from your complete conversion but in most cases you will likely find that you need to setup/convert/import:

1. Maps and images
    2. Create any custom NPCs
    3. Setup encounters

That is the minimum for your game session. You can read the flavour text direct from the pdf like you would if you were playing without the VTT. That will cut down on your prep immensely. Also you will get faster at doing prep over time.

For the dice etc - use the manual dice option for now. In many tables that start like this, one by one players might start switching over to a laptop as they see the ease of using it. If they are resistant let it come to them in their own time

Also let the players know that the players know that FG uses an actual physics engine to roll the dice based on your last mouse movement.

Thread Information