STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: Community Wiki

Blog Entries

Community Wiki

This may be a can of worms that has already been discussed (though I couldn't find it):

Has SmiteWorks considered hosting a wiki for community member contributions?

I realize there are a lot of pros and cons to such a project, but it might be worthwhile. I tend to research things to death as I work toward adding functionality to an extension. If I post my research findings in the forums hoping to help others in the future they quickly disappear as they lose temporal relevancy. Or are polluted with non pertinent digressive discussion. Take a look at the Parse5E thread(s) sometime! I completely gave up on the tool after a few hours of wading through that miasma on non information.

I've seen questions and comments here in the Workshop regarding the difficulty of finding "documented code". A community wiki might be an answer.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

I'm quite new to the software and community, and there's so much I still have to learn, but I've got the same feeling as Minty.

Blog Entries
    IMO, there is already a Wiki that can and should be used. The problem is that it is too closely "guarded". I don't know if there were problems in the past with people getting into issues with making poor changes to each others work, but, I would like to see the wiki opened up to most everyone who wants to be able to edit content there.

Maybe wait until someone gets 100 posts or some level, but, the current response of well, just send someone the text of what you want updated and we'll update it really isn't a good solution. That puts a roadblock in the way and adds work to both someone who wants to help and to the people who then need to make the update.

For instance, My adventure creation guide would be MUCH better if it was on the wiki and could be updated and added to by a thousand users rather than just me. Just on the topic of adventure creation, there are three guides I can think of. Mine is the most upto date and comprehensive, but it still is "old" and incomplete.

SmiteWorks, please re-consider opening up the Wiki to general user authoring.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    IMO, there is already a Wiki that can and should be used. The problem is that it is too closely "guarded".....
    I've contributed to Wiki's, but not been an "organizer". It would seem as though a sub-page could be opened for community contributions. That way we wouldn't be stepping on Smithworks provided documentation.

Maybe wait until someone gets 100 posts or some level, ...
    The current methodology with blogging seems to work. Everyone is a blog reader. One must request to be a "blog writer". And I'm sure there are "blog super users".

For instance, My adventure creation guide would be MUCH better....
    Precisely one of the forum threads I had in mind. There are others that I follow and that have contributed forum threads that would be much better served via Wiki: celestian, Bidmaron, Ken L, Myrdin, rob2e, Nickademus, just to name a few (sorry if you're conspicuously absent).

Yes, please SW do this. I have a CoreRPG function call documentation that would be beneficial if we could share (not very complete yet, but growing). Perhaps you could say that anyone above a certain forum level is qualified to edit a section of the wiki ("User Contributions?")?

We deliberately chose not to have a kitchen sink wiki approach. While it does lead to more content, it leads very quickly to a disorganized wiki with potentially incorrect information. I'm a strong believer that any project should have someone invested in the overall organization and outcome, not just individual topics.

As I stated in the original wiki notice, I am very open to adding additional users on a request basis. If someone wants to be a wiki contributor, I just make sure that they have been a contributing positive member of the community for a while. Or, if not, I just ask them to pass the markup to me and I will post. This allows a modicum of overall moderation of content and organization.

Also, I agree that many "sticky" threads should probably be written up as wiki topics, and the "sticky" threads replaced with wiki links.

Am I hearing that someone wants the job of moderating and organizing the wiki?

JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; February 10th, 2018 at 19:28.

Blog Entries
    I would definitely be willing to be a contributor and help moderate. Not willing to step up and be responsible for updating all of the content

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking I could do the same.

I don't believe myself to be an expert in anything especially rulesets that are not 5e. So trying to moderate something like that would be counterproductive.

It looks like we need to flesh out scope.

I'm obviously much too green to contribute at the moment, but I may come back later (onward to my first ruleset !!! )

Blog Entries
    My current greatest interest, and a sector of wiki pages I believe I could contribute to is "ruleset code explained". In developing the extensions both published and unpublished I've had to dig deeply in things like anchoring, loadorder, OOB messaging, xml instance layering, to name a few. Am I an expert? Umm, probably not. But I have an understanding of these deeper than the average bear, and I believe I have something to share, with someone just facing g those subjects for the first time.

Thread Information