FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Read only...

Quote Originally Posted by Skaith View Post
    Thanks I was afraid of that. Using 2E and discovered the players could edit spells that I created.
    That's standard functionality - players can change data on their character sheets.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    That's standard functionality - players can change data on their character sheets.
    Interesting. I know as a GM I couldn’t edit write only items unless I made a copy of them first.

I didn’t realize that did not apply to write only once they are dropped on a PC sheet.

Have to check that out once I get back home Tuesday.

Interesting. I know as a GM I couldn’t edit write only items unless I made a copy of them first.

I didn’t realize that did not apply to write only once they are dropped on a PC sheet.

Have to check that out once I get back home Tuesday.
    Like I mentioned in post #8 - it depends on whether the base data record is linked to the character sheet when added or all the data for the record is copied to the character sheet. If you'd like specifics of which data records are copied and which are linked in the D&D 2E ruleset then I recommend you post a new thread in the sub forum for that ruleset as this thread is specific to the Savage Worlds ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries

It's read-only not write-only. The act of dropping any record is creating a copy of it, hence why it suddenly becomes editable. The original read-only record only remains in the original module. Just like you have to create a copy of a monster to make changes to it, adding a monster to an Encounter record creates a copy of that monster; it's not the original record in that Encounter record now. This is expected functionality across all FG rulesets, and is no different than in person where any player can freely take a pencil to their paper character sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    ...adding a monster to an Encounter record creates a copy of that monster; it's not the original record in that Encounter record now. This is expected functionality across all FG rulesets...
    To clarify - adding a NPC to an encounter doesn't create a copy of the NPC, it only links to the NPC record that was dragged to the encounter record - at least as far as standard CoreRPG based ruleset functionality goes. When the encounter is added to the combat tracker (CT) is when copies of the base NPC record linked in the encounter are made into the CT, but this is purely in the CT.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    To clarify - adding a NPC to an encounter doesn't create a copy of the NPC, it only links to the NPC record that was dragged to the encounter record - at least as far as standard CoreRPG based ruleset functionality goes. When the encounter is added to the combat tracker (CT) is when copies of the base NPC record linked in the encounter are made into the CT, but this is purely in the CT.
    Ah good catch! Forgot about the middleman there

Thread Information