DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Read only...

Read only...

Why is nearly everything read only?
    Most of the NPC's in sw deluxe and deadlands have no gear and you can't add any to them.
    Do i have to create a new list of all the npc's that are in the game and "not available for use" just so that I can edit them to add gear and fix powers?

This is the 5th time I've bought the Delux and deadlands stuff, 2 sets of hardcover books, 2 pdf's and now a fantasy grounds "special" pdf.
    I was kinda hoping it would work so I could get a game up and running in a few days not a few weeks.

Blog Entries
    For "reference modules" (ie. the rulebooks and settings) we're required to set them read-only. Adventures on the other hand, are required to be editable.

If you're making your own adventure or your own encounters, drag the NPC, Item, whatever into the appropriate list window to make an editable copy of it, and use the copy in your encounters, parcels, etc. It will show in the (New) group by default for easier viewing, or create your own group to customize your view.

Since I'm still figuring this out, I'm going to need an example of how to do it.

I'm using a soldier from deadlands which has no default gear.
    I drag it to the encounters, how do I add an item or power to it from there?

Also can I group mooks so that all my mooks go on the same card?

How do I get the mini character screen?

How do I get access to the GM wildcards bennies to soak damage and reroll?
    Last edited by LDedric; November 26th, 2017 at 19:42.

Blog Entries
    The mini-sheet is located on the Skills tab of the character sheet, as shown here:

For your Deadlands Soldier example, here I brought up the NPC Master Index (click the 'NPC' button on the sidebar) then selected the "DLR Marshall's Handbook" group from the dropdown menu and searched for Soldier.

As you can see, the soldier is set to read-only because it's from a reference module. So, I selected the (New) group from the same dropdown menu then dragged the soldier into it:

Now this new copy of that soldier NPC is editable! After making any changes, I can use that copy to create an encounter. I can also create my own custom group for that NPC (also for Items, Encounters, Images, Powers, etc.) such as if I call my adventure "The Quick and the Shaken" like I did here:

Easy peasy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That's a great walkthrough.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Hummm... years late but a question.

Once you create your own item is there a way to set it to write only so that a player cannot edit it once they have it in their possession?

When you export the records in your campaign, there is an option to set it as read only.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by Skaith View Post
    Once you create your own item is there a way to set it to write only so that a player cannot edit it once they have it in their possession?
    In general no. Most records when added to a PC have the data from the base record copied into the character sheet and the player can edit all data in the character sheet. If the base record is just linked to the character sheet then the player usually can’t edit the linked base record. Which records are copied to the character sheet and which are linked depends on the ruleset. Are you referring to the Savage Worlds ruleset or a different ruleset?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    In general no. Most records when added to a PC have the data from the base record copied into the character sheet and the player can edit all data in the character sheet. If the base record is just linked to the character sheet then the player usually can’t edit the linked base record. Which records are copied to the character sheet and which are linked depends on the ruleset. Are you referring to the Savage Worlds ruleset or a different ruleset?
    Thanks I was afraid of that. Using 2E and discovered the players could edit spells that I created.

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    When you export the records in your campaign, there is an option to set it as read only.
    Thanks, but it’s items I created in the campaign for use there.

Thread Information