5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Combine Core Rules Into Single Module?

Curious if there is a way to combine and merge all core game rules (from all official books) into a single module?

Presently, there are little things like Feats and Spells from official adventures (Magic Stone spell and Svirfneblin Magic feat in Elemental Evil). There are also several entries for every Race and Class with every official module activated.

Example Image:
    fg_multiples.jpg

My goal would be to have a single module with all the official material merged into a single entry (ie, one Barbarian with info from Sword Coast, PHB, Xanather, etc). The hope would be less modules needing to be activated, less memory and less confusion for players who can pick and choose from multiple entries of the same thing.

Is this something that can be done, even if it requires a good bit of manual labor?

If you load all 5e modules in a brand new campaign with no players connected and nothing shared it clocks in at 1.2 GB of RAM usage. Even on powerful machines this becomes an issue once you start playing with map shares and players due to the program limitations (seems to hit issues when it gets close to 2GB I believe?).

Example Image:
    fg_memory_all5e.jpg

Cheers!
    Last edited by jwfitt; November 12th, 2017 at 20:11. Reason: added example image

Issues will become apparent at closer to 3.2 Gb. But this is shared material; usually the issues are on the players side rather than on the DMs side.

The only way that you could do what you want is to manually enter everything into FG in one big module. You won't obviously be able to add in any artwork (which probably takes up a lot of the memory).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    As Mr. Z says, you could do this by inputting everything manually. Either through the UI or using one of the parse tools to at least enter parts of it.

I'm lazy, it wouldn't be worth it to me, but it might be for you.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the confirmations. I have all the official modules, but my OCD has me wanting to merge it all into a nice, clean singular thing which would merge all of the core rules, classes, races, monsters, etc. from all sources. Likely, will leave adventures modules separate and turn those on as needed in the campaigns... ((@__@))

So I've been hacking away at building my own module from all the source books. Mostly a good, but tedious experience.

Unfortunately, I'm running into an issue with the 5e character sheet and skill links, both within the Skills tab of the sheet and the links you get when dragging a Class onto your sheet where it prompts you to pick Skills. In both cases trying to click the link for the skill info gives the error:

"Unable to open window using wildcard link, because no module containing that link is open. Check your active Library modules."

I have tried loading the module I've made from this into a new 5e game and the error still persists. I'm guessing it is something related to how the 5e character sheet is coded? Is it possible to hack the 5e.pak files and edit some xml or lua to make this work? I have exact duplicates of all the official 5e skills in the Skills listing within the campaign.

Example:
    fg_skill_link_wildcard_module.jpg

Edit: Other links from added classes work fine (like those on the Abilities tab).
    Last edited by jwfitt; November 15th, 2017 at 06:34.

Need more information. Where are you dragging the class from? Is it from your own created module? If so have you recreated the skills in your own module? If not do you have the PHB open when dragging in the class?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Sorry for the confusion.

I have duplicated every thing from the PHB (and other core books) into my own module (Classes, Skills, etc.). I am dragging the class from the my list of Classes within this module. There are no other modules loaded.

I have tried this in two scenarios:
    1) In my working/creating campaign where there are no module loaded at all - everything exists within the campaign locally.
    2) After exporting that working campaign into a module and going into my Actual Play Campaign and creating a new PC there.

In both cases, the error persists.

All other links from classes work fine on the Player Character sheets except the links to skills.

Here's an example from Scenario #2 where I've loaded my module "D&D 5E - Player's Handbook" and tried to create a new PC:
    fg_skill_link_module_2.jpg

Cheers!
    Last edited by jwfitt; November 15th, 2017 at 14:43.

Quote Originally Posted by jwfitt View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm running into an issue with the 5e character sheet and skill links, both within the Skills tab of the sheet and the links you get when dragging a Class onto your sheet where it prompts you to pick Skills. In both cases trying to click the link for the skill info gives the error:

"Unable to open window using wildcard link, because no module containing that link is open. Check your active Library modules."
    These links are looking for a FG database path of reference.skilldata.<skillname>@* So the skills information in your modules must use the same path - reference.skilldata.<skillname without spaces>.

See the data paths here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Best_Practices

EDIT: Exporting skills data from the FG interface will just store the info in the skills database path at the root of the FG database. You will need to manually edit the XML to copy this data into a reference.skilldata DB section.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 15th, 2017 at 15:52.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe! I have been trying to dig into it, but I am wondering if you can elaborate a bit if you get time?

I exported a very simple module as a test-case, with just 2 Skills created in the Campaign level.

Attached here is the db.xml file from that exported .mod file (it's not very long).
    db.xml

There appear to be three sections where references to skills are listed. I'm a bit confused on the structure and where to edit the reference.skilldata DB entry into the file that you mention?

If possible, could you provide an example?
    Last edited by jwfitt; November 15th, 2017 at 22:33.

I haven't tested this, but you'll need something like this added to the db.xml file between the <root> tags:

Code:
    	<reference>
    		<skilldata>
    			<acrobatics>
    				<locked type="number">1</locked>
    				<name type="string">Acrobatics</name>
    				<recordname>
    				</recordname>
    				<stat type="string">Dexterity</stat>
    				<text type="formattedtext">
    					<p>Your Dexterity (Acrobatics) check covers your attempt to stay on your feet in a tricky situation, such as when you're trying to run across a sheet of ice, balance on a tightrope, or stay upright on a rocking ship's deck. The DM might also call for a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to see if you can perform acrobatic stunts, including dives, rolls, somersaults, and flips.</p>
    				</text>
    			</acrobatics>
    			<animalhandling>
    				<locked type="number">1</locked>
    				<name type="string">Animal Handling</name>
    				<stat type="string">Wisdom</stat>
    				<text type="formattedtext">
    					<p>When there is any question whether you can calm down a domesticated animal, keep a mount from getting spooked, or intuit an animal's intentions, the DM might call for a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check. You also make a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check to control your mount when you attempt a risky maneuver.</p>
    				</text>
    			</animalhandling>
    		</skilldata>
    	</reference>
    Note how the data has been added between <reference> and <skilldata> - this is the FG DB notation reference.skilldata Then the numerical ID's have been changed to the lowercase skill name, with no spaces. So, Acrobatics is actually at the reference.skilldata.acrobatics FG DB database node.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information