5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

PureVPN Question (Solved)

I've seen several threads mention that PureVPN works with Fantasy Grounds. Does anyone have instructions for getting it to work? I have it, and a dedicated IP, but still getting failure on the test in fantasy grounds. The tech support over at PureVPN are not very helpful and saying I need to also buy the NatFirewall to be able to open port 1802. When I look at what that offerers it doesn't make any sense. Plus all the threads just say the dedicated IP, not natfirewall.

Anyone have success with this and can give some clarity?

Thanks!
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; November 11th, 2017 at 21:18. Reason: Solved

I have PureVPN with the dedicate IP, DDoS protection, and NAT firewall set to allow 1802. It works like a champ and I have had zero problems with it. I am sure you can go back to PureVPN and add those options.

Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 5.05.31 PM.png
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

So it DOES require nat firewall? Not just "you have it and it works" but "will not work without nat firewall"? Because the other threads only mention dedicated ip.

I don't know the answer to that...
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

Blog Entries
    Im pretty sure that the test will still fail. Youw ill need to actually test it
    In this case you often can use a second local connection and use the PureVPN IP address as the Alias address.
    You will probably get a license error and it wont connect but the license error means it did connect first...

I don't understand what that means.

Blog Entries
    I do not have the NAT option, just dedicated IP, and it works.

The NAT option can be useful for certain cases, but I have not needed it for Fantasy Grounds.

If you sign up using this link, I even get a bonus.:-)

https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Otherwise www.purevpn.com and try it. They do offer money back if it does not work.

All I do is use the dedicated ip option and connect via it and then start up FG and it works well. Connection test immediately succeeds and people can use the generated alias to connect to You or your IP address (the one the vpn gives you).
    Last edited by Myrdin Potter; October 29th, 2017 at 00:44.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

You shouldn’t need the NAT firewall option.

The key is that you do not have Fantasy Grounds running when you connect to the VPN. Wait until the VPN gets an IP address then start up FG. On the load campaign screen make sure the external IP address is the VPN IP address. Then try the connection test.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    What Trenloe says is why I always say start up the vpn and then FG. Once FG latches onto an external IP, it sticks to it. I usually boot up and sign into my laptop, get onto the internet (in whatever hotel I am in typically as I do not need a vpn at home), launch PureVPN in dedicated ip mode and wait until it fully loads and is assigned an IP address, and then launch FG.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    What Trenloe says is why I always say start up the vpn and then FG. Once FG latches onto an external IP, it sticks to it. I usually boot up and sign into my laptop, get onto the internet (in whatever hotel I am in typically as I do not need a vpn at home), launch PureVPN in dedicated ip mode and wait until it fully loads and is assigned an IP address, and then launch FG.
    Ok, I launched PureVPN in dedicated IP mode, I did wait for full load, launched FG, the IP address showing in fantasy grounds is the one I get from PureVPN. Test fails and my friend cannot connect if I launch the campaign anyway.

Thread Information