FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 63 of 101 First ... 1353616263646573 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
    OK, this might be WAY too out in left field, but I'd like to start looking into how I can combine the "Equipped Effects"/"Automatic Effects" functionality to automatically add effects so I don't forget, with the ability of "Advanced Effects" to only apply effects when those effects are attached to the item in use. I was thinking about a function or something that would copy effects applied by "Equipped Effects" to the Effect fields added by Advanced Effects. Not sure when I'd execute the function, but probably when added to the inventory. I don't know what the guts of these extensions look like, and I could see the possibility of effects being added over and over again every time an item is equipped, so I'd need to handle things like that.

Also, because I didn't create those other extensions, this would only be for my campaigns unless I figured out a way to do it outside of those other extensions.

So, am I crazy?
    I don't really understand the premise. The entire purpose of AE is to add them so you don't forget. You add the effect to a item or pc so that when you place the pc in the CT it's added for you. If you equip a item while the pc is in the CT it will also add/remove as you equip/unequip.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I don't really understand the premise. The entire purpose of AE is to add them so you don't forget. You add the effect to a item or pc so that when you place the pc in the CT it's added for you. If you equip a item while the pc is in the CT it will also add/remove as you equip/unequip.
    Yeah, the premise is that I love the "action only" feature of Advanced Effects. If a PC has 2 magic shortswords equipped for example, I don't want the effects from one magic weapon to be applied to the attack of the other. It's painful remembering to keep equipping and unequipping even though it's perfectly legitimate to have both equipped.

Yeah, the premise is that I love the "action only" feature of Advanced Effects. If a PC has 2 magic shortswords equipped for example, I don't want the effects from one magic weapon to be applied to the attack of the other. It's painful remembering to keep equipping and unequipping even though it's perfectly legitimate to have both equipped.
    Aye, that is a big use case as well. What I'm trying to understand is what specific feature that is missing he's wanting.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Aye, that is a big use case as well. What I'm trying to understand is what specific feature that is missing he's wanting.
    Maybe I'm making it too complicated, but I think I want the "Action Only" functionality without needing to rename effects and add them to weapons - sorta defeats the purpose of automatically adding effects to items. I love Equipped Effects for character related things, and I love Advanced Effects for the "Action Only" functionality. If both could be active at the same time without needing to create custom effects and renaming things, I'd be a happy camper.

Maybe I'm making it too complicated, but I think I want the "Action Only" functionality without needing to rename effects and add them to weapons - sorta defeats the purpose of automatically adding effects to items. I love Equipped Effects for character related things, and I love Advanced Effects for the "Action Only" functionality. If both could be active at the same time without needing to create custom effects and renaming things, I'd be a happy camper.
    I dunno what you mean by re-name effects. I've no experience with equipped effects but from the name of it, sounds redundant since AE already does that.
    ---

I dunno what you mean by re-name effects. I've no experience with equipped effects but from the name of it, sounds redundant since AE already does that.
    Ah...the issue is that if Advanced Effects and Equipped Effects are both enabled, if you add an effect to the weapon per Advanced Effects, when you equip it, Equipped Effects adds it AND Advanced Effects also adds it so it's doubled up. So, you need to make a copy of the effect with a special name and use it so that EE doesn't add it too. I'd need to go back and see how it's done exactly, but that's the gist.

But then you don't get the "action only" capability and I'm back to unequipping and equipping when dual wielding.

Ah...the issue is that if Advanced Effects and Equipped Effects are both enabled, if you add an effect to the weapon per Advanced Effects, when you equip it, Equipped Effects adds it AND Advanced Effects also adds it so it's doubled up. So, you need to make a copy of the effect with a special name and use it so that EE doesn't add it too. I'd need to go back and see how it's done exactly, but that's the gist.

But then you don't get the "action only" capability and I'm back to unequipping and equipping when dual wielding.
    What function does the other extension provide that AE doesn't that you'd want both?
    ---

I assume you also use the Automatic Effects modules to provide all the data for Equipped Effects automation? If so there's certainly nothing celestian can do. Adding effects to items with Advanced Effects is a manual process after all, so there's no automation to get in the way. On the other side of things Automatic Effects and Equipped Effects fundamentally are designed to automate adding an effect by name, so to interrupt that renaming (or deleting the redundant effect) is unavoidable.
    Last edited by MeAndUnique; November 8th, 2021 at 18:19.
    My Forge creations: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/9/view-profile
    My GitHub: https://github.com/MeAndUnique
    Buy me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/meandunique
    Discord: MeAndUnique#6805

I'm with celestian on this. I run both extensions just fine.
    A bit confusing on what is being asked. If a player of mine has two +1 shortsword, the bonus does not stack. It is +1 to hit/damage for each. If both have one round effect like first hit is +1 poison damage, the second attack with shortsword is not poison, then the other shortsword only has +1, they only have the player roll their poison sword first.
    Is there an example of what problem is being asked to fix?
    The beginning of any story is a happy accident; the end, a tragic fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe the Homunculus View Post
    I'm with celestian on this. I run both extensions just fine.
    A bit confusing on what is being asked. If a player of mine has two +1 shortsword, the bonus does not stack. It is +1 to hit/damage for each. If both have one round effect like first hit is +1 poison damage, the second attack with shortsword is not poison, then the other shortsword only has +1, they only have the player roll their poison sword first.
    Is there an example of what problem is being asked to fix?
    True, bonuses like +1 don't stack because they aren't considered effects, they are inherent with the weapon. Without having the effects added per Advanced Effects, if the PC has a shortsword flame tongue and a shortsword frost brand, the Equipped Effects with Automatic Effects combo will add both 2d6 fire and 1d6 cold to the PC when the weapons are equipped. Attacks with either will trigger both effects all the time. I can remind players that they need to unequip one weapon when attacking with the other, but I guarantee they'll forget. In your +1, poison and simply +1, unless you unequip the poison one when attacking with the normal one, the poison damage will get applied to it too because it is added as an effect (unless you simply add it manually to an already existing +1 sword via Advanced Effects, but then EE wouldn't have added it anyway and it's not an issue - I'm not worried about that case.)

With standard magic weapons though, that EE would add effects for, with the effects added per Advanced Effects to get the "Action Only" function, if I add the 2d6 fire and 1d6 cold damage to each weapon using Advanced Effects, when I equip the weapons, the effects get added both by Advanced Effects and Equipped Effects so that a hit with the frost brand triggers a 1d6 cold from Advanced Effects, another 1d6 cold from Equipped Effects, and a 2d6 fire from Equipped Effects. Unless I rename the effect to force EE to not automatically add it when equipped. Fundamentally, this is what I want to avoid and retain the "Action Only" capability of Advanced Effects.

I don't mind the extra setup it takes to manually add effects from Automatic Effects to weapons using Advanced Effects and renaming something to make Equipped Effects not re-add the effect when the weapon is equipped...I guess I'm looking for the most straightforward way to do it - I fully admit that I may be making it too complicated.

Maybe all I need is to know what method you use to make those extensions best work together without duplicating effects.

Thanks for the patience!
    Last edited by TheoGeek; November 9th, 2021 at 00:48.

Thread Information