FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 53 of 101 First ... 343515253545563 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    Per rules, they don't stack. See page 197 of the PHB:

"Multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability that affect the same damage type count as only one instance. For example, if a creature has resistance to fire damage as well as resistance to all nonmagical damage, the damage of a nonmagical fire is reduced by half against the creature, not reduced by three-quarters."

Ultimately it's your game but RAW they don't stack and the reason FG doesn't allow it I would think...
    You are confusing resistance working 2 times, or vulnerability working 2 times. Example. Using armor of invulnerability with barbarian rage both reduce damage by 1/2, so instead of getting 3/4s you would only get the effect once.
    Which is not the same as Heavy Armor Mastery with Armor of Invulnerability work together, so you would take 3 less damage and 1/2 damage.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    You are confusing resistance working 2 times, or vulnerability working 2 times. Example. Using armor of invulnerability with barbarian rage both reduce damage by 1/2, so instead of getting 3/4s you would only get the effect once.
    Which is not the same as Heavy Armor Mastery with Armor of Invulnerability work together, so you would take 3 less damage and 1/2 damage.
    That's not what the question was that I saw. The point stated was: "I know that FGU doesn't stack "RESIST: 3 piercing" and "RESIST: piercing", so I would assume that "RESIST: 3 piercing" + "RESIST: 3 piercing" would not become "RESIST: 6 piercing". I would like them to stack, but seems like FG doesn't do that."
    That is the same type of bonus and I would say it doesn't stack. Feel free to rule how you feel want but I read this as two resistances to piercing and is the reason it doesn't work in FG...

That's not what the question was that I saw. The point stated was: "I know that FGU doesn't stack "RESIST: 3 piercing" and "RESIST: piercing", so I would assume that "RESIST: 3 piercing" + "RESIST: 3 piercing" would not become "RESIST: 6 piercing". I would like them to stack, but seems like FG doesn't do that."
    That is the same type of bonus and I would say it doesn't stack. Feel free to rule how you feel want but I read this as two resistances to piercing and is the reason it doesn't work in FG...
    Why wouldn't it stack?

You are confusing resistance with the effects like resistance.

Heavy Armor Mastery is NOT resistance, no where does it say resistance. However, you can't stack HAM with something that is resistance where you take 1/2 damage in FG, however, RAW you can clearly because HAM is not resistance.

Why can't those bonuses stack? They are from 2 different sources and one is not resistance. So the rule you listed does not apply. So why wouldn't they stack?

"While you are wearing heavy armor, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage you take from non magical weapons is reduced by 3" this is what HAM says. It is NOT resistance. However, how we have to code it is
    Code:
    RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic
    Which does not stack with work with anything that uses resist and those 3 types after it. Example would be Armor of Invulnerability.
    Code:
    RESIST: bludgeoning,piercing,slashing,!magic

I think that is a perfect example for damage reduction effect. HAM is not resistance but damage reduction.

The original question is: "Could someone advise me on the use of Resist effect using this extension? If I have two items, each with RESIST: 1 piercing for example, when added to inventory, will this stack to resist 2 piercing? I assume this is a limitation of the rule set, but looking for confirmation. If no, is this something that could be accomplished? Thanks and love this extension."

Nowhere is HAM or anything like Armor of Invulnerability mentioned on this. The example given is that both items have Resist:XX. I'm not sure if we're talking past each other but if two items provide a "Resist: XX" type of effect, I read that as the same effect and it doesn't stack. That's all I'm saying. There can be corner cases as the specific overrules the general but two resistances to piercing don't stack as a rule of thumb. You can rule how you want obviously but if it is calculated the same way, I see that as the same effect.

The original question is: "Could someone advise me on the use of Resist effect using this extension? If I have two items, each with RESIST: 1 piercing for example, when added to inventory, will this stack to resist 2 piercing? I assume this is a limitation of the rule set, but looking for confirmation. If no, is this something that could be accomplished? Thanks and love this extension."

Nowhere is HAM or anything like Armor of Invulnerability mentioned on this. The example given is that both items have Resist:XX. I'm not sure if we're talking past each other but if two items provide a "Resist: XX" type of effect, I read that as the same effect and it doesn't stack. That's all I'm saying. There can be corner cases as the specific overrules the general but two resistances to piercing don't stack as a rule of thumb. You can rule how you want obviously but if it is calculated the same way, I see that as the same effect.
    I will PM you so we don't cutter up this ext.

The point is by RAW you can stack HAM and Armor of Invulnerability. Which means it should be able to be coded into the basic RESIST system of the game.

Just curious as to the final outcome of this discussion yesterday. Is it possible to include stacking of Resistance via an extension for Damage Reduction or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by jhathawaytn View Post
    Just curious as to the final outcome of this discussion yesterday. Is it possible to include stacking of Resistance via an extension for Damage Reduction or something similar?
    RAW HAM and RESISTNACE stack, however, the coding they want us to use for HAM doesn't work with the coding they want us to use with RESISTANCE.

Oddly enough, you can stack some reductions/resistance IF you code it weird. But it runs into problems in other ways.

Example. You can code HAM to be normal coding.
    Code:
     RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic
    Then code your resistance OR reductions using the code
    Code:
    RESIST: 1 all
    These 2 codes will stack, so will RESIST: 3 slashing and RESIST: 1 all. (Total of 4 to slashing)
    In this case the reduction goes first, then the resistance happens rounding down. Example: RESIST: 3 slashing and RESIST: all were put on a target and they took 20 damage of slashing on an attack, it would first reduce 3 damage bringing it to 17, then 1/2 resist it, bringing the final down to 8 damage.

Another odd thing is that because those 2 things work together you would think maybe it might slip through the cracks that RESIST: slashing and RESIST: all would stack. However, they do not (as they shouldn't per the RAW rules). If you had both of those effects on you, you would only take 1/2 damage.

Another tool you can use with the knowledge that a specific type of damage reduction stacks with the "all" damage reduction is you can use the ! code to cut out the other damages and get them to stack. Here is an example I do sometimes to get them to work.

Example, someone has HAM and Armor of Invulnerability. Normal code for this would be.

HAM; RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic
    Armor of Invulnerability; RESIST: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, !magic

However, you can use this instead.
    HAM; RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic
    Armor of Invulnerability; RESIST: all, !magic, !poison, !acid, !fire, !cold, !radiant, !necrotic, !lightning, !thunder, !force, !psychic

As you can see this is kinda messed up way to do it, but it can be done for stacking like that.

Another thing to note is that you can stack VULN on top of these resists and VULN only works once also, unless you code it like this also.
    VULN damage is also calculated last.
    So order of operations is, reduce, resist, vuln reduce, vuln.
    So a 20 damage attack with someone reducing 3, resisting all, vuln to 3 would be 10 damage.
    So a 20 damage attack with someone reducing 3, resisting all, vuln to 3 and vuln would be 20 damage.

I hope that helps, I tried to stick to mostly just the coding side of things. But it would be great if Smiteworks would help us out and code in a reduce effect instead of having to tag on to resist, because reduce is not the same as resist and they do stack according to RAW.

I look at it much like advantage.
    You can have advantage, you can have disadvantage and advantage, but you can't have 2 advantages or 2 disadvantages. They don't make you roll 3 times.
    So you can have a + to the roll advantage on a roll, disadvantage on that roll with a - on that roll, or even multiplies of either + or -. So all the +s and -s would stack and add up, but the advantage doesn't not stack with another advantage.
    Just replace the word ADVANTAGE with RESISTANCE and you can understand how this should be done.

This helps me very much @MRDDT. Thanks for the additional detailed explanation.

Update 4.9: Tweaks for 2021-02 updates
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information