STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

Character Vitality and Improved Criticals

This is the "Character Vitality and Improved Criticals" extension. It combines the work of TASagent's "Unearthed Arcana: Vitality" with TheoGeek's "TheoGeek's Improved Critical" since they were incompatible when used separately. For those unfamiliar with one or both, it implements the variant rules published in Unearthed Arcana for "Vitality" (referenced here: https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...riantRules.pdf) and makes critical hits to be truly superior to non-crits by maximizing the original weapon damage dice so that a greatsword crit will deal 6+6+2d6 (minimum of 14 damage) instead of 2d6+2d6 (minimum of 4 damage, hardly a "critical"...). As a side note, healing effects recover vitality at 1 for every 10 HP healed (exactly the reverse of how vitality is lost), so a Cure Wounds of 18 will only restore 1 Vitality. Long rests (with standard healing) recover vitality at 1+CON modifier.

Updates: NOT CURRENTLY COMPATIBLE

Sep/04/2018, v10: update for 3.3.6A
    Aug/15/2018, v9: Tokens now display wounds and death properly.
    Aug/08/2018, v8: Update for 3.3.6 combat tracker.
    Feb/23/2018, v7: Update for hit die bug, 3.3.4 5E compatible.
    Oct/07/2017, v6 : Update for concentration check bug, 3.3.3 5E compatible.
    Sep/23/2017, v5 : Updated files to be 3.3.2 5E compatible.
    Aug/19/2017, v4 : Cut some unnecessary content and merged record_char.xml to promote additional extensions' cooperation, 3.3.1 5E seems compatible.
    Aug/18/2017, v3 : PC "main" tab sizing and fixed portrait appearance.
    Aug/10/2017, v2 : The extension is now 3.3.0 5E compatible.
    Aug/05/2017, v1 : Initial creation.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by trembot_89; November 17th, 2020 at 15:27. Reason: notifying incompatible

In the D&D 5e ruleset Healing Effects are not working in the combat tracker. Test in my current campaign with others extension and alone and in a new campaign.
    1) PC effects like potions or spells with healing are not working
    2) Healing effects from NPCs are not working.

Console Error: Script Error: [string ''scripts/manager_action_heal.lua'']:63: attempt to call field 'addRightClickDiceToCauses' (a nil value)

Damage Effects from 1) and 2) sources works normally.

2017-08-08.png

Hi Zeruel. Are you saying that certain effects are not working or you are getting an error only when you use this extension?

If that isn't the case can you be more specific as to what you mean by healing potions or spells not working. In what way are they not working?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Only with this extension activated,

1) Action Heal from the Players Character Sheet from the Action tab and Healing Effects form the text of a NPC sheet are not working when the effect is drop over any creature on the Combat Tracker or a creatures token in a map.
    2) Effect REGEN: x is not working. When a creature with this effect has it in the combat tracker can not start his turn with the Next Actor button is click.

Heal Effect - PC.png

Heal Effect - NPC.png

Heal Effect - Error.png

3) UPDATE: When a character is dying and recibes damage less than 10 hit points of damage he fails a Death Save but if the damage is equal or more than 10 hit points he automatically fails all three death saves and is Dead. I underdand that the Vitality optional rule dosen't change the condition of dying.
    Last edited by Zeruel_Kagenie; August 9th, 2017 at 08:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel_Kagenie View Post
    Only with this extension activated,

1) Action Heal from the Players Character Sheet from the Action tab and Healing Effects form the text of a NPC sheet are not working when the effect is drop over any creature on the Combat Tracker or a creatures token in a map.
    2) Effect REGEN: x is not working. When a creature with this effect has it in the combat tracker can not start his turn with the Next Actor button is click.

Heal Effect - PC.png

Heal Effect - NPC.png

Heal Effect - Error.png

3) UPDATE: When a character is dying and recibes damage less than 10 hit points of damage he fails a Death Save but if the damage is equal or more than 10 hit points he automatically fails all three death saves and is Dead. I underdand that the Vitality optional rule dosen't change the condition of dying.
    1 & 2) This must be from the original Vitality ext, it was written for 3.1.2 and we're 3.3.1 -- I'll see what I can dig up on how healing is handled in the ext vs the ruleset and try to fix it.

3) I can't replicate this one, if a character receives damage while dying they auto fail one death roll, or two if the damage is from a crit regardless of whether the ext is active or not.
    -- I got it, you were talking about NPC character deaths. I'm not sure what's triggering this, maybe something to do with NPCs not having Vitality?

It's also been brought to my attention that the Damage Modifier "Max" isn't working with the ext either, although "Half" and "Crit" work fine
    Last edited by trembot_89; August 9th, 2017 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by trembot_89 View Post
    1 & 2) This must be from the original Vitality ext, it was written for 3.1.2 and we're 3.3.1 -- I'll see what I can dig up on how healing is handled in the ext vs the ruleset and try to fix it.

3) I can't replicate this one, if a character receives damage while dying they auto fail one death roll, or two if the damage is from a crit regardless of whether the ext is active or not.

It's also been brought to my attention that the Damage Modifier "Max" isn't working with the ext either, although "Half" and "Crit" work fine
    Sounds like the original extensions weren't based on the most recent FG code. This is a frequent issue as extensions use code from the original rulesets and the extension must be kept up to date with the current ruleset code or errors and incorrect functionality can result - which is what we're seeing here. It can be difficult to do easily if the original extension developer didn't include the original unmodified code to check changes against, or didn't comment where changes were made.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Sounds like the original extensions weren't based on the most recent FG code. This is a frequent issue as extensions use code from the original rulesets and the extension must be kept up to date with the current ruleset code or errors and incorrect functionality can result - which is what we're seeing here. It can be difficult to do easily if the original extension developer didn't include the original unmodified code to check changes against, or didn't comment where changes were made.
    Lucky for me TASagent seemed pretty organized when it came to noting changes, and now I get to learn more about what the coding I'm screwing with is actually saying. No better way to learn, right?

Alright, I've updated the extension (now on version 2) and fixed all reported errors. NPCs still auto-die if taking >10 damage while dying, but that's a ruleset thing - not the extension.

Just so you know that this extension seems not to work with the current version in test (I haven't tried it in live version but I assume it is working for you there). Placing any NPC onto the combat Tracker generates the following error

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat2.lua"]:394: attempt to call field 'encodeEffectForCT' (a nil value)

And few if any of the NPCs actions appear on the CT
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel_Kagenie View Post
    3) UPDATE: When a character is dying and recibes damage less than 10 hit points of damage he fails a Death Save but if the damage is equal or more than 10 hit points he automatically fails all three death saves and is Dead. I underdand that the Vitality optional rule doesn't change the condition of dying.
    Without the extension (since I can't test with the extension on test) the death saving throws seem to be working as expected. If a character takes any damage whilst at 0HP they automatically suffer a death save fail. If they take damage which exceeds their hit point maximum whilst at 0HP they automatically take two death save fails. It may be that the damage taken in your case was sufficient to cause the double failure and it just so happened to be more than 10 hp whilst an amount of <10 hp was sufficient to only cause one failure. At any rate things seem to be working as expected, certainly without the extension.

Thread Information