DICE PACKS BUNDLE

[Pathfinder] Applying combat maneuvers automatically on successful hit

I've scoured the interwebs and I'm not sure if I've just not asked the right questions or if nobody's answered it because it's obvious and I'm just a troglodyte. Is it possible to create a weapon that functions as a combat maneuver and applies a status effect to the target if it succeeds?

I know you can change the type of a weapon from melee/ranged to combat maneuver so that it rolls against CMD instead of AC, but what I would like to do is have that apply status effects automatically (e.g. make a combat maneuver "weapon" called grapple that applies the grappled effect to the player's target so that our handy dandy maneuver master can fight without me dragging status effects around like a madman).

Again, not sure if I've just somehow missed it or it's super obvious and I'm just a scrub, but this would make my life as a DM soooooo much better.

There's no way to apply damage or add effects automatically on an attack roll. There are just too many exceptions to the rules, whether through forgotten modifiers, GM fiat or reactions; so, we deliberately decoupled attack rolls from damage/effects/etc.

As an alternative, you could create a spell/power to hold the effects that can be applied by the player on a successful attack, and let them apply it when they succeed (just like they would normally roll damage).

Regards,
    JPG

Welcome to the forums Drew Funderburk

The usual way to do something like grappling is to setup a "Spell Class" but for the character actions, as Moon Wizard mentions. You can add a "spell" (don't worry about the spell terminology, it's just what the interface was originally setup for) call it Grapple and then add actions to the spell:
    - Add a cast action, click the magnifying glass for this action and setup the attack as you need - set it to CMB etc..
    - Add an effect action. Add the relevant conditon/modifiers as an effect. Details on effects here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...cts#Conditions You may need two effects if you need to apply one to the target and one to the PC - use Targeting = Targets or Self, respectively.

There are lots of PFS pregen character XML ready to import that community members have put together. A lot of these have actions setup similar to what we describe above. This post has a bunch, the rest of the thread have many more: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post212605
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information