STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

MoreCore and Marvel Heroic RPG (I need tips)

I'm planning a Marvel Heroic RPG campaign . I know there is not a specific ruleset for this system and I therefore think of using moreCore ruleset. However, I've never left my comfort zone (D&D 5E ruleset), and I have no idea how to use moreCore Ruleset for this. Is there anyone here who knows the Cortex Plus system and can give me tips to get the most out of this ruleset (perhaps by pointing to tutorials)?

I don't have any of the books, but I'm a big Marvel fan so I looked it up. RPG Geek mentions that it uses a roll and keep mechanic, so MoreCore may not have a custom roll set up yet that can do everything for you. (The current roll and keep mechanic is based on the AEG games that only use d10's.) How exactly are the rolls (and bonuses) handled? It might be something that could work with existing rolls, or at least something that would be easy to program a custom roll for.

As for using MoreCore in general, you will be able to set up a character sheet and make rolls directly from there, but you won't have some of the more advanced features that 5E does.

I'm not a MoreCore veteran, but there are others who can help with specific questions for anything I can't help with.

FG Con 10 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - April 7-9 2017
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin-Man View Post
    How exactly are the rolls (and bonuses) handled? It might be something that could work with existing rolls, or at least something that would be easy to program a custom roll for
    Basically, when performing an action, the player chooses which traits are relevant to that action. Each trait has an associated die, which varies from d4 to d12. The player then assembles a pool of dice with the traits chosen for action. If there was a way to do that in moreCore, that would be enough.

Then, the player rolls all the dice of the pool of dice mounted, chooses some to sum the values obtained and try to overcome the roll made by the GM.

The GM also mounts a pool of dice to oppose players' action. This pool can be done using NPC traits (when the action is against a particular NPC), or a special pool called a doom pool, which starts with a few dice and increases as the game progresses.
    Last edited by GainunX; July 24th, 2017 at 20:16.

Creating dice pools of multiple types of dice isn't hard, but the default is to total them together. Dropping one or more will probably require someone to program a custom dice string. Does the player choose how many dice to count before or after seeing the result of the roll?

Without doing any dice programming, I would recommend setting up each trait separately. The player can choose the relevant traits and roll them all in a row, then report to the GM which results to count. This would require more clicks for each roll, but would also allow the characters to easily switch up what traits are important in any given situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin-Man View Post
    Creating dice pools of multiple types of dice isn't hard, but the default is to total them together. Dropping one or more will probably require someone to program a custom dice string. Does the player choose how many dice to count before or after seeing the result of the roll?
    It would not be a problem to add up the total as long as the value of each dice also show up separated in the chat. After rolling the player chooses 2 dice to add up and create a total value.

Unless I'm not understanding something obvious, it does not seem possible to create a pool of dice, just individual rolls. If so, it is more easier manually insert the dice command in the chat ... And use the character sheet is for reference only

There was a community member that did the Marvel Heroic ruleset (malachi666), but they wouldn't release it because they could not get permission from the owners. Not sure if they are still around, but if they are they might have advise.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakosDJ View Post
    There was a community member that did the Marvel Heroic ruleset (malachi666), but they wouldn't release it because they could not get permission from the owners. Not sure if they are still around, but if they are they might have advise.
    I've seen discussions about this in old forum topics. But it seems that he is no longer active here on the forun. Thanks, anyway =)

Here is a picture of a combined 1d6, 1d8, 1d10 roll and a character with three separate traits. You can see the individual dice results pictured in the chat log, but you'll have to ignore the total displayed since it uses all three dice. This is from using the Technology ability from the window on the right, but setting up the ability requires choosing which dice to use every time you roll it.

I also set up a character with three traits that can be mixed and matched for any given task. They take up more space in chat, but you can easily modify when they matter. I recommend doing it this way unless your heroes have traits that will only ever be used together. Attachment 19939

I am struggling with this myself. You can use CoreRPG to create a dicepool on the charactersheet itself. You can setup with all the stats on it, and drag/drop onto a dicefield to generate the pool. It is clunky as hell, and I wish to god, that the NPC sheets were the same as chactersheets. Alas they have basically no functionality, so I am considering just using charactersheets for npcs.

Here is a link to the template I am currently using: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m670icfwc5...plate.xml?dl=0

As for the community ruleset. I do believe that such a thing could be made and released. You cannot copyright gamerules, only content. Sadly I doubt it will happen, since MHR is a dead rpg, even though it is a great one.

Vires Animi

Thread Information