5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

AoO rule clarification

I am new to the 5E ruleset and just getting back into TT RPG after a long absence (AD&D) and have been learning as I go with each session. In the last session played there was a situation where Lightning Lure (Sorcerer cantrip) was used against a creature that was in melee with one if not two other party members. On a successful cast of Lightning Lure it allows for the the lightning to strike a target 15' away and draw that target 10' closer to the caster and then inflict lightning damage. My question is - would that creature also be subject to AoO from party members that were already engaged in melee with it? There was some discussion at the table around this encounter, however, the AoO question did not arise at that time. Thanks for any input.

LIGHTNING LURE (SCAG)
    Evocation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 15 feet
    Components: V
    Duration: Instantaneous
    You create a lash of lightning energy that strikes at one
    creature of your choice that you can see within range.
    The target must succeed on a Strength saving throw
    or be pulled up to 10 feet in a straight line toward you
    and then take 1d8 lightning damage if it is within 5
    feet of you.
    This spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach
    5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Short answer is yes if the target moved out of the creatures reach.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Forced movement of a target does not trigger attacks of opportunity by RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by 5E SRD
    You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. For example, you don’t provoke an opportunity attack if an explosion hurls you out of a foe’s reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy
    5e SRD Opportunity Attacks
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

Thanks Ramza0Tyr -The SRD references changes things. But brings in another question - how different is the SRD from the Core books? I have thought of the SRD as cliff-notes to the Core Rule Books. And if so, is it elaborated further in the Core Books?

PHB p. 195 says exactly the same thing.

My understanding is that the SRD and official books use the same rules and in most cases exactly the same words and phrases. Core is the SRD+

Ramza0Tyr is correct. And the same paragraph is in the PHB on page 195.

Older topic, but figured I would link this for a thorough explanation on Lightning Lure in 5E and how the AOE effect works.

Was there still a question here? I'm not sure why an explanation (and necro) was needed.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thread Information