STAR TREK 2d20

Bonded Items for Wizards

I have spent all day looking through the PF Core rules book (hard back), PFcore rules SRD and parusing the forums for information on Bonded items for the Wizard. It is briefly discussed on page 86 in the core rules book under heading of Arcane Bond (EX or SP) (6X) along with a brief mention on familiars . I dont understand and can not find anything to help me understand what is needed to make a bonded item to be more specific the creation of a bonded Amulet or even what (EX or SP) (6X) means. There is discussion of feats in the same text but I find nothing helpful in understanding and knowing the process or what all is required. Im not even finding any bonded items in the PF Core Rules Book

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Taigon; June 11th, 2017 at 20:56.

Blog Entries
    You automatically start with a free bonded Amulet (if that's the item you choose). This amulet does nothing except function as a bonded item. Then you can enhance it per the Craft Wondrous Item feat.. which you automatically have (even in PFS) for the purposes of enhancing that item... so if you want to make it into an Amulet of Natural Armor... you pay half the retail cost of the item and poof your amulet is an Amulet of Natural Armor... I can find the text for you if you like...

EDIT: A wizard can add additional magic abilities to his bonded object as if he has the required item creation feats and if he meets the level prerequisites of the feat. For example, a wizard with a bonded dagger must be at least 5th level to add magic abilities to the dagger (see the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat in Feats). If the bonded object is a wand, it loses its wand abilities when its last charge is consumed, but it is not destroyed and it retains all of its bonded object properties and can be used to craft a new wand. The magic properties of a bonded object, including any magic abilities added to the object, only function for the wizard who owns it. If a bonded object's owner dies, or the item is replaced, the object reverts to being an ordinary masterwork item of the appropriate type.

Craft Wondrous Item (Item Creation)
    You can create wondrous items, a type of magic item.
    Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.
    Benefit: You can create a wide variety of magic wondrous items. Crafting a wondrous item takes 1 day for each 1,000 gp in its price. To create a wondrous item, you must use up raw materials costing half of its base price. See the magic item creation rules in Magic Items for more information.

You can also mend a broken wondrous item if it is one that you could make. Doing so costs half the raw materials and half the time it would take to craft that item.
    Last edited by Blackfoot; June 11th, 2017 at 21:42.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Thank You, yes Id absolutely love to know where this text comes from for future reference.

"You automatically start with a free bonded Amulet (if that's the item you choose). This amulet does nothing except function as a bonded item. Then you can enhance it per the Craft Wondrous Item feat.. which you automatically have (even in PFS) for the purposes of enhancing that item... so if you want to make it into an Amulet of Natural Armor... you pay half the retail cost of the item and poof your amulet is an Amulet of Natural Armor... I can find the text for you if you like..."

This brings up another question though. In PFCRB it states that "This bond can take one of two forms: a familiar or a bonded object." So my logical assumption is if you choose to have a familiar you dont get to have both. It is automatically one or the other at character creation but does not state as such nor is said amulet listed in your inventory / gear upon charachter generation in Fantasy Grounds nor is it in PFCRB in any gear or magic item lists. It would be great if this oversight could be remedied. I have discovered that there are a lot of players that dont even know about this. Especially due to the largely vauge description that is not clearly defined. But they covered the familiar in great detail Lol.

Blog Entries
    It absolutely DOES state as much in the text... are you reading the Arcane Bond ability under Wizard? Read it closely and read ALL the words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder PRD
    Arcane Bond (Ex or Sp): At 1st level, wizards form a powerful bond with an object or a creature. This bond can take one of two forms: a familiar or a bonded object. A familiar is a magical pet that enhances the wizard's skills and senses and can aid him in magic, while a bonded object is an item a wizard can use to cast additional spells or to serve as a magical item. Once a wizard makes this choice, it is permanent and cannot be changed. Rules for bonded items are given below, while rules for familiars are at the end of this section.

Wizards who select a bonded object begin play with one at no cost. Objects that are the subject of an arcane bond must fall into one of the following categories: amulet, ring, staff, wand, or weapon. These objects are always masterwork quality. Weapons acquired at 1st level are not made of any special material. If the object is an amulet or ring, it must be worn to have effect, while staves, wands, and weapons must be held in one hand. If a wizard attempts to cast a spell without his bonded object worn or in hand, he must make a concentration check or lose the spell. The DC for this check is equal to 20 + the spell's level. If the object is a ring or amulet, it occupies the ring or neck slot accordingly.

A bonded object can be used once per day to cast any one spell that the wizard has in his spellbook and is capable of casting, even if the spell is not prepared. This spell is treated like any other spell cast by the wizard, including casting time, duration, and other effects dependent on the wizard's level. This spell cannot be modified by metamagic feats or other abilities. The bonded object cannot be used to cast spells from the wizard's opposition schools (see arcane school).

A wizard can add additional magic abilities to his bonded object as if he has the required item creation feats and if he meets the level prerequisites of the feat. For example, a wizard with a bonded dagger must be at least 5th level to add magic abilities to the dagger (see the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat in Feats). If the bonded object is a wand, it loses its wand abilities when its last charge is consumed, but it is not destroyed and it retains all of its bonded object properties and can be used to craft a new wand. The magic properties of a bonded object, including any magic abilities added to the object, only function for the wizard who owns it. If a bonded object's owner dies, or the item is replaced, the object reverts to being an ordinary masterwork item of the appropriate type.

If a bonded object is damaged, it is restored to full hit points the next time the wizard prepares his spells. If the object of an arcane bond is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced after 1 week in a special ritual that costs 200 gp per wizard level plus the cost of the masterwork item. This ritual takes 8 hours to complete. Items replaced in this way do not possess any of the additional enchantments of the previous bonded item. A wizard can designate an existing magic item as his bonded item. This functions in the same way as replacing a lost or destroyed item except that the new magic item retains its abilities while gaining the benefits and drawbacks of becoming a bonded item.
    Found here.
    What are you talking about 'upon character generation in Fantasy Grounds'?? These things do not get created automagically.. The Familiar would need to be created as an NPC or separate PC depending on how you prefer (if you intend to use it as a creature.. most folks don't bother with this).. the Item would need to be created as a generic item... if you are building your character in Hero Lab it does offer the option of having a bonded item and then when you run it through the character converter it comes in with the item.. crappy as it is. I mean.. the item does basically nothing initially... other than allow you to cast an extra spell. You can create a new item in your inventory and then put whatever text into it you'd like. That's what most players do... some put nothing.. some put the text from Arcane Bond into it... whatever suits your fancy.. it has no real function during play other than to say 'I have one of these'. You might be getting a bit more granular on your level of detail here than you need to be.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Thread Information