FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 92 of 108 First ... 42829091929394102 ... Last
    Occult Adventures does not support building a Kineticist properly (if at all) on FGU. I have been attempting to build one for a player for several hours and have the following problems.
    1) Lvl 1 provides not ability to choose an element and thus doe not grant Blast (actions) or Elemental Defense options. EG: no Basic Hydrokenisis, Kintectic Blast Cold, or Shroud of Water (because) NO ABILITY to choose (or manually add) Element Choice.
    2) Expanded Element AT ALL LEVELS does not give any ability to choose a new (or same) element... Thus ZERO composite blasts.
    3) No support (choice at lvl, manually add) for ANY Wild Talents OR Infusions. Thus, no slick, no Wings of Air, no Kinetic Whip, etc.

Kineticist FGU Problem 1.pngKineticist FGU Problem 2.pngKineticist FGU Problem 3.pngKineticist FGU Problem 4.pngKineticist FGU Problem 5.png

The character levelling is very basic in Pathfinder; and does not provide features for making choices nor handling advanced features. It only handles basics, like HP, saves, skills, favored class, and basic links to class abilities in class record. All choices and other additions granted by class features need to be handled manually.

Fantasy Grounds does not offer a full-fledged character builder or character manager for Pathfinder 1.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The character levelling is very basic in Pathfinder; and does not provide features for making choices nor handling advanced features. It only handles basics, like HP, saves, skills, favored class, and basic links to class abilities in class record. All choices and other additions granted by class features need to be handled manually.

Fantasy Grounds does not offer a full-fledged character builder or character manager for Pathfinder 1.

Regards,
    JPG
    I dont need it to handle EVERTHING. But I do need the ability to add BASIC functions of the Kineticist to the PC. For example... I cannot add Kinetic Blast- Cold... Because there is no way (that I can see) to tell FGU that the added "weapon" targets Touch AC not regular AC.
    Nor is there any provision for adding infusions.

I "can" add wild talents like "Slick" by giving the PC the spell grease (and manually changing the DC) or Celerity by giving haste (and manually changing DC). But how do I add "pushing infusion" or Cloud Infusion or Wall Infusion??? These are BASIC parts of the class... Why are they missing??

Several months back it was reported that the Pathfinder module Crypt of the Everflame has some formatting errors with the text, specifically quotes, em dash, and "smart" double quotes missing and instead showing as a square glyph. Looking at the xml for my local campaign copy of some of the module text, it appears all the "bad" characters are represented using standard HTML character encoding syntax, i.e. (
    Code:
    &#charcode;
    ). For example, a single quote is
    Code:
    &#146
    . Fantasy Grounds isn't rendering these HTML encoded characters and instead just shows a square glyph.

Is this a bug in FantasyGrounds itself or should the module not be using HTML encoded characters for things like single quotes, smart quotes, em and en dashes, etc? Oddly, when I corrected some of the double quotes in my local campaign, they get saved as
    Code:
    &#34
    so it appears Fantasy grounds can render some HTML character encodings. It's almost like the font used in the story window in Fantasy Grounds doesn't have those other characters defined so it just shows the square glyph.

Is there any estimate on when this might be fixed or is there an easy way I can local do a global find and replace on the text of the module in my local storage and turn the "bad" characters into valid ones? It seems the module text only gets saved locally if I modify the story element. It would be pain to unlock and edit each chapter to get a local copy of the text so then I can replace the bad chars.

Cheers,
    Brian

PS: Sorry for the wonky formatting. Typing HTML encoded chars in a post gets turned into the characters. :-D I ended up dropping the semicolon to prevent the rendering, but hopefully you get the idea.
    Last edited by MostTornBrain; December 29th, 2021 at 04:45. Reason: Fighting the HTML rendering...

To followup on my previous message, it appears that the story window is treating the text as ISO-8859-1, which does not have characters 128 through 159 defined, which explains why the UTF-8 encoding for left/right quote, smart quotes, and dashes are not rendering. If I instead use the known ISO-8859-1 HTML character codes for smart quotes in my local xml of some of the story text, then they do show up.

So, despite the xml claiming in the header that it is UTF-8, best I can determine, the text is being interpreted by Fantasy Grounds as ISO-8859-1.

Cheers,
    Brian

Short answer:
    We have been fixing modules with this issue as they are reported, which is caused by some issues in the way FG Classic used to save data.

Long answer:
    The module specifies ISO-8859-1 in the data XML, which was the default for modules created in FG Classic (which this one was). One of the last updates for FGC was to update the export routines to rewrite these characters to ASCII equivalents; but that does not affect already published adventures. Due to the way that Win32 applications work (which was FGC), it actually displayed certain characters not technically in ISO-8859-1 (which is called Windows-1252 encoding), and the FGC font engine only cared that the string was single-byte.

With the move to FG Unity, it supports UTF-8 encoding as the default (multi-byte strings). However, these extra Windows-1252 characters (that are not valid ISO-8859-1 values) are being read as invalid characters by the built-in C# .NET libraries when trying to be converted to UTF-8 from XML, because they technically are not valid ISO-8859-1 values.

Regards,
    JPG

I went ahead and updated the data file manually; and uploaded a new version to the patch system. Please run a Check for Updates, and try again.

You may also want to revert the module in the Module window (right click on module entry, and select menu option); which will reset the module back to the "factory default" for that campaign.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Taran Eilonwy View Post
    I dont need it to handle EVERTHING. But I do need the ability to add BASIC functions of the Kineticist to the PC. For example... I cannot add Kinetic Blast- Cold... Because there is no way (that I can see) to tell FGU that the added "weapon" targets Touch AC not regular AC.
    Nor is there any provision for adding infusions.

I "can" add wild talents like "Slick" by giving the PC the spell grease (and manually changing the DC) or Celerity by giving haste (and manually changing DC). But how do I add "pushing infusion" or Cloud Infusion or Wall Infusion??? These are BASIC parts of the class... Why are they missing??
    Could you shortly say what these abilities do? Then we can try to provide help how to add these abilities (I have sadly no idea about kineticists and never really heard of them)

About touch for weapons: Add touch as property to the weapon, then it will be a touch weapon If it is a short-time effect (like just for the next attack), then click the modifier window (the plus/minus button at upper right) and there is a touch modifier button
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 29th, 2021 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I went ahead and updated the data file manually; and uploaded a new version to the patch system. Please run a Check for Updates, and try again.
    Awesome! Thanks so much for that, it looks good now! And thanks for the technical explanation of why it wasn't rendering correctly in the first place. It's nice to get a better understanding of what the developers are dealing with behind the scenes.

Cheers,
    Brian

Hi again,

I noticed a couple more modules suffer from the UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 sadness: "A0: Crow's Rest Island", "Well Met in Kith'takharos" (which is particularly sad since the name Kith'takharos uses the unmapped quote character and it is used on almost almost every page several times ).

This got me wondering, would one be able to write an extension to auto-map the text of the bad chars to good ones? Being a programmer by trade, I've been meaning to look into extension writing, but wasn't sure if that level of parsing would be doable via lua scripts interacting with a window's text contents from commercial modules.

Cheers,
    Brian

Thread Information